GO!

Fat Camp part 2...

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 7: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  
Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Sat Aug 11, '12 7:48am PST 
I return to fat camp, and thought I'd start a new thread instead of just continuing the old one.

I am returning to Fat Camp because I had to go to the vets to get some lumps checked. The good news...they were fatty lumps. The bad news...I am still fat.

I now weigh 115, up from 112 on my last visit. Gotta get back on track and drop some more weight. So here is a picture from yesterday. Day one of part two.

100 pounds, here I come!

August the 10th, 2012 115 lbs.
[notify]
Brownie

Brownies are- good!!

Barked: Sat Aug 11, '12 8:57am PST 
Brownie shall join you... because he is fat too! He has to loose about ten pounds before being at a good weight. Ahh foster dogs.
[notify]
Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Sat Aug 11, '12 9:35am PST 
Welcome, Brownie...I could use the company.

Now, old pals and advisors...I have been pretty good about measuring Big Savvy's chow and had been limiting her to 1.5 lbs.

I am thinking to cut it down to 1.25 which would allow for a couple of snacks, since Grandma will continue to share her sammiches. Sound reasonable to you?

Of course she eats her food in about 3 seconds, so it doesn't seem to be a satisfying amount, but beauty don't come easy...

Now, as some may recall...I am a big labby. About 27 inches tall.
[notify]

Conker

OBEY ME!

Barked: Sat Aug 11, '12 10:36am PST 
Yeah, cutting it down to 1.25 is fine. I'd probably be "mean" and cut it even farther, but that's just me.
[notify]
Trixie Bean!

none so blind as- those that will- not see

Barked: Sat Aug 11, '12 10:43am PST 
I'd probably be mean too, but i'd do it gradually.. Cut it back a little, then cut it back a little more!

You can get there Savvy smile you've done well so far!
[notify]
Bruno CGC

Honorary Kelpie

Barked: Sat Aug 11, '12 10:44am PST 
you can do it, Savvy! maybe up the swimming and walking too, though it's hard to exercise when it's hot out.
[notify]
Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Sat Aug 11, '12 10:56am PST 
It's funny...I have probably been getting MORE exercise because I love to chase
Cookie! But I probably have been eating a little too much.

red face
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Tue Aug 14, '12 11:03pm PST 
Just a bit less food cut gradually and a bit more exercise each day should do the trick. Beware of snacks as well. sharing a bite with humans is always hard to resist and if it is suddenly not allowed,then where is the joy in life? You just reduce the food for the day by the ammount of people food shared and add a few extra steps to the walk.hugwishes & Good Luck!!!

wavewavewavewave Nice to see and hear from you. Thank-you for starting a current thread as well. The revival of long dead threads by newbie's has been making things very difficult for us to follow. It is nice that they are there to be informative and educational but....hughughughug
[notify]
Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Wed Aug 15, '12 6:38am PST 
The problem with measuring has been meaty pork joints...There is a lot of meat on them, but also a pretty significant bone. So I might get an overly large serving. Mom is just going to cut them out for the duration so she can get a fair portion measure.

And I might go a little lower, but going with 1.25 for now. Modest snacks are allowed, because NO snacks are hard on me and on Grandma.
[notify]
Lucille

I am the Sock- Bandit!!!

Barked: Wed Aug 15, '12 6:59am PST 
Oh, Savvy, I still think you're beautiful! Nice to see a new thread. big grin

We will join you in cutting down. Lucille is getting a bit jowly as her metabolism slows a little (I can't believe she's 3!). I need to get some current pics up.

There is no way SO can NOT give snacks, so Lu gets only a pinch of sammich and then the healthier dehydrated liver or lamb lung. That's the best compromise we could come up with, too. I feed the main meal, so I cut down a bit on that portion once I realized the 'no snack' policy was a non-starter. I am not home at snack time wink

Do you have a decent kitchen scale? maybe you already weigh the pork joints...it must be tough to separate them in to portions, anyway.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 7: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7