GO!

Golden Lab Muscles tightening?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

Barked: Sun Apr 22, '12 11:09pm PST 
Well this has been the 2nd time in a year this has happend, Well last summer (tword the end of summer) My mom calls me out because our dog basically was walking really weird and kindof loosing his balance. This went on for about 8 minutes before he just snapped out of it and was running around the yard chasing bones and what not. Tonight (A Year later) he wakes up and i look over and his eyes are wide and his paws are straight out and in the air a bit...... not as bad as last time but was still losing his balance, this went on for 5 minutes, then he snapped out of it again and was completly fine, drank water ate food then went to sleep.

Its just like his muscles go crazy on him for a few minutes then he snaps out of it and is fine.

Any ideas? He is a Golden Lab for the record.
[notify]
Trigger

*Blackdog*

Barked: Mon Apr 23, '12 10:40am PST 
Could be a lot of things, seizures, poisoning, hypoglycemia, EIC, a vet is the only one that'll be able to accurately diagnose your dog.

How old is he?

(On a side note, is the dog a Golden Retriever and Labrador mix or are you talking about a yellow Labrador? Clarifying where he came from might also help...by that I mean if he came from good breeding and his parents tested and not carriers of EIC that rules that out, if he was a petstore, puppymill or backyard bred dog that'll definitely up the chances of him having something like a seizure disorder etc.)
[notify]

Barked: Mon Apr 23, '12 3:24pm PST 
Hes 2 years old, 3 Come August, And nah we got him from out neighbors....
[notify]

Farrah- ♥12/9- 7-3/06

I love Bosco,- Jack & GR

Barked: Mon Apr 23, '12 4:29pm PST 
Call your vet.
[notify]
Fireside's- Twilight- Princess

Nick Name - Balistic Missle

Barked: Tue Apr 24, '12 8:33am PST 
I assume you mean a Yellow Lab? Not trying to sound picky, but a purebred lab can have EIC (Exercise Induced Collapse) I don't think a Golden/lab mix can have it but I'm not sure. I can't remember if both parents have to carry the gene or one.

Anyway... Exercise Induced Collapse is when a dog overdoes it he ends up going down like a drunken sailor. EIC itself cannot cause harm, does not shorten the life of the dog and is fairly common. They are out of it for a few minutes then bounce back like nothing happened. However at hunt trials I have seen dogs go down in the water and drown. Also, a friends dog collapsed with his head in a puddle and almost drowned. Luckily they found him before it was too late.

I agree a vet visit is in order to verify it's nothing serious. Also if you can track down the breeder you may be able to find out if it is EIC. Most labs are tested for it with a DNA test. If the vet can't find anything and the breeder doesn't know or you don't know the breeder you can do the DNA test yourself to verify if this is what it is.

Here is a link to the lab that does the testing. http://www.vdl.umn.edu/ourservices/canineneuromuscular/home.html
[notify]
Fireside's- Twilight- Princess

Nick Name - Balistic Missle

Barked: Tue Apr 24, '12 8:36am PST 
Oops I forgot to mention. If he goes down hind legs first stiff as a board it could again come from the lab breeding. This one is much rarer and very little research has been done on it. I forget the full name but my horse vet has two labs with it that he is doing research on. I know he calls it myopathy. He thought it would shorten the dogs lives but they are nine now and still going strong. They go down stiff when they over exercise or if they get over stressed. For example as a puppy one of them tore up the house, when it was yelled at it had an episode.
Again they bounce back with no issues after a few minutes of rest.
[notify]
Trigger

*Blackdog*

Barked: Tue Apr 24, '12 11:14am PST 
EIC is not exclusive to the Labrador breed. And OP doesn't need to contact the breeders of the dog to determine if their dog has it, a simple swab test can confirm if they are clear, a carrier of the mutation or affected.

Obviously carriers and those affected should not be bred.

Hereditary Labrador Retriever Myopathy (aka - Type II fiber deficiency) wouldn't be an option here as the dog is well past the age it presents.

This sounds far more like seizure activity than anything else to me simply because a young active Labrador affected by EIC would have had way more than two episodes by the time it was 2-3 years old.
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Tue Apr 24, '12 12:04pm PST 
I'm with Trigger on this one. The average age of onset for Hereditary idiopathic epilepsy in the lab is 2 to 3 years of age.
What the OP is describing sounds very much to me like a typical epileptic seizure.
[notify]

Barked: Tue Apr 24, '12 5:45pm PST 
Allright ill try to describe it a bit better now that im more awake, Basically i had looked over at him and his eyes we're wide like he had seen a ghost, and he was attempting to get up..... he gets up and hes walking weird kinda like he cant find his balance for about 5 minutes..... then its over, and he goes on to drink some water and eat some food and went back to sleep, The first time it happend he was outside and he was just walking weird and shivering over a span of about 10 minutes, he snapped out of it and we threw him a bone and he kept wanting to play.

Been about 48 hours now and hes just him normal self. Should I be doing anything else? I'm kinda hesitant on the vet because they will charge me out the but to look at him. And like i said the first time it happend it was about a year ago.

Edited by author Tue Apr 24, '12 5:46pm PST

[notify]
Trigger

*Blackdog*

Barked: Tue Apr 24, '12 6:49pm PST 
Unfortunately only a vet will be able to sort this out.

Consider it this way, if what happened to him happened to you would you hold off seeking medical attention or would you get in to see a doctor asap? He can't take himself, he depends on you when something is wrong with him and he deserves to be cared for.

Rest assured what happened to him is not normal, your money would not be wasted investigating what's going on.

No one will be able to diagnose or treat him over the internet.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2