GO!

Distemper/Parvo vaccine

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Okami- Amaterasu

I shalst- pluck-eth ze- toy...

Barked: Thu Apr 19, '12 7:36pm PST 
So when I took Okami to the vet the other week (when I was panicking over her infected hair follicle XD), I also got her updated on her shots.

I've been thinking about the Distemper/Parvo vaccine though. I always get the Lyme and the Bordetella vaccines, but I wonder if the Distemper/Parvo is really necessary? Obviously it's absolutely an essential when you have a puppy, and also for a follow up shot to two?? But what about after that? Is there really any need for them?

Sorry if I sound totally new at this. I've done some research into vaccines but probably not as much as I should have.

I've tried to look up info on the Distemper/Parvo vaccine, but I've only seemed to have found very conflicting info.

What do you guys think?
[notify]
Huck

GO!!!

Barked: Thu Apr 19, '12 7:54pm PST 
I follow Dr. Jean Dodd's protocol for vaccines.
http://www.itsfortheanimals.com/DODDS-CHG-VACC-PROTOCOLS.HTM

He re is some more info on Dr. Dodds if you don't know who she is.
http://www.itsfortheanimals.com/DODDS-RESUME.HTM
[notify]
Luna

Barked: Fri Apr 20, '12 2:48am PST 
Although it is rare for adult dogs to get parvo it is still possible for them to get in contact with it and become infected with the disease. While i was interning at a vet clinic to pit bulls who had all of their puppy shots and their adult shots they still became infected with parvo. They were 3 and 5 years old. Pit bulls and black and tan breeds like rotties are very susceptible to parvo for some reason.

I think its mandatory to get the follow up shots.

Even though here in las vegas, nevada we hardly get animals infected with rabies, i still get my dogs their rabies follow ups. I just wanted my animals to be protected in case they come in contact with a virus.
[notify]

Tyler

Whippy- The- Whipador

Barked: Fri Apr 20, '12 5:28am PST 
I won't be vaccinating my two again. They was last done in 2010 and before that they hadn't been vaccinated since they was pups.

Found this in a magazine article i read monthly....

"Dr Ronald Schultz, Chairman of Pathobiological Sciences at the University of Wisconsin School of Veterinary Medicine, is at the forefront of vaccine research and one of the world's leading authorities on veterinary vaccines. The results from his challenge studies (where laboratory animals are deliberately subjected to the disease threat) show that live virus vaccines are protective for at least seven years, if not for the lifetime of the animal (eg, once fully immunised, more than 90 per cent of dogs retain immunity to parvovirus-2 for more than seven years and distemper immunisation may last up to 15 years) and this has led the American Animal Hospital Association (AAHA), The American Veterinary Medical Association, the American Feline Academy and the Canadian Veterinary Medical Association to revise their guidelines to vets."

And i fully believe that to be true. I just don't see the need to re-vaccinate every year. If you're worried about immunity levels though you could titre test instead to see whether the vaccine is required, i know many people do that now.
[notify]
Dora

A-Dora-ble!

Barked: Fri Apr 20, '12 7:44am PST 
The AAHA-recommended protocol for parvo and distemper is every three years, not every year. AAHA is very cautious and conservative in its recommendations, and I'd have a serious talk with any vet who suggested more frequent vaccination than the AAHA protocol.
[notify]
In Memory of Callie

Just call me Her- Magesty

Barked: Fri Apr 20, '12 7:55am PST 
I quit my vet who tried to sneak a distemper shot in on Callie. I took her in for her to look at a tumor on her eyelid and she was listing the things that would be done to Callie that day and in the middle of the list she said oh and the injection. I said what injection? She said a distemper. I said she does not need a distemper injection and I reminded her that Callie was 12 and was not getting anymore vaccinations. I left her office really angry and after 10 years with her went to a different vet.
[notify]
Kip & Oogie

Goof Fox & Diva- Squirrel

Barked: Fri Apr 20, '12 10:38am PST 
I don't really think it's necessary... like Tyler said, the newer research is showing that the vaccines stay effective in our pup's immune systems for far longer than we had previously thought.

This website has some good articles regarding the potential dangers of over-vaccinating, how to reduce the likelihood that your dog will have an adverse vaccine reaction, and what to do if your dog does end up having a vaccine reaction.

That said, I titer for parvo and distemper with my two. They had their puppy shots for it, but instead of the year booster I had them titered and the results came back to show that they still have immunity/are protected. Hope that helps!
[notify]
Mister- Jagger

YIP YAP I love- Rock and Roll!

Barked: Fri Apr 20, '12 11:16am PST 
I also follow the AAHA: vaccines every three years. My vet highly recommended I go with yearly shots (his approach is: "if the dog's healthy, it won't hurt"), but he accepted our decision not to follow his recommendation.
[notify]
Tucker, CGC,- TDI

Bloggin' Dog

Barked: Fri Apr 20, '12 1:58pm PST 
I also follow Dr. Dodds' protocol, and titer test every two years. Tucker, who is nine years old, will not get another vaccination in his lifetime except for rabies, because it's required by law.
[notify]
In Memory of Callie

Just call me Her- Magesty

Barked: Fri Apr 20, '12 4:25pm PST 
Tucker I am with you. Callie is due next month and I cringe at the thought of gving it to her.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2