GO!

Throwing up, but only at night?!?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Sage CGC

Mommy's lil- princess

Barked: Tue Apr 17, '12 2:25am PST 
Sage, for the last few nights (although she didn't do it last night) has been throwing up. It's completely partially digested food, not bile. She has no fever. She's only a year old, and we are gradually switching her food, and have been doing so for the past 3 weeks. (Yes, very very gradually.) She can eat breakfast no problem, and hold it down all day. At first, we thought she needed to eat earlier since we feed the pups at 7, 3, and 11 we were feeding her at 9 and 11. But that doesn't seem to be working either. We took her off her vitamins, since I thought maybe that was it.. but nothing.

Why would it be ONLY at night that she does this? It's getting old and my carpets are getting grosser by the second. We are moving in a few days, so maybe stress? Her behavior has been weird too. She's afraid of me most of the time, and although she's normally friendly with everyone, she was cowering and shaking when my father in law came to the house the other night? Any thoughts? Ideas? Suggestions?
[notify]
Kali earned- her wings- 10/21/14

She's game for- anything that's- fun.

Barked: Tue Apr 17, '12 4:23am PST 
Sometimes when dogs are sick they act strange. Have you had her to the vet for a check up? When Kali is sick she acts scared. It might be worth a vet visit.
[notify]
Eve

The Christmas- Eve dog

Barked: Tue Apr 17, '12 4:31am PST 
I don't really have an answer for you but Eve has done this but only at night and only when visiting my mom. It's the weirdest thing. I have started feeding her a little later and giving her a "milk bone" treat right before bed just to give her something in her stomach. It also seems to happen if she doesn't poop before going to bed. I don't think it has anything to do with it but maybe it wss coincidence. It doesn't happen that often because we only visit my mom twice a month for the weekend and it hasn't happened since I started giving her a treat before bedtime.
[notify]

Bella

Barked: Thu Apr 19, '12 5:31pm PST 
I don't have much to say to help, but thought I'd offer some sympathy. Our dog can do great for a couple weeks and then seems to throw up after dinner for a stretch of days. We feed her at 6:00 and she throws up the dinner around 10 when this happens.

Our vet is totally not concerned and thinks that one of two things happens when this happens- she eats too fast and ends up with too much air in her stomach or she eats something during the day that she isn't supposed to and then throws up to rid herself of it. Both are plausible- she does eat fast sometimes and she does scavenge for things. We've also been told by vet techs that dogs can get stomach bugs and have trouble, but if they're able to eat and drink something (even if its not every meal), are not lethargic, and are eliminating fine, they are likely ok.

Again, not that helpful, but I know the carpet cleaning routine can get old.
[notify]
Turner - Gone Too- Soon

Hi I'm Turner- Wanna Smell My- Butt?

Barked: Thu Apr 19, '12 6:32pm PST 
I would do a vet check first... but
Let me ask you this, how much "stuff" is in your house? You've changed her environment and it sounds like she's unsure of what is going on. Did this only start to happen after you moved a bunch of things out of the house? Have you gotten rid of her bed/toys anything that she "loved" like a sofa? Moves can be tough on dogs, in that, they don't understand that they are going with you. Try and take her for an extra walk later in the evening. When you get to the new house make sure the first thing you put down is her toys/bed so she knows that it's her house also...
Good luck! flowers
[notify]
Turner - Gone Too- Soon

Hi I'm Turner- Wanna Smell My- Butt?

Barked: Thu Apr 19, '12 6:32pm PST 
I would do a vet check first... but
Let me ask you this, how much "stuff" is in your house? You've changed her environment and it sounds like she's unsure of what is going on. Did this only start to happen after you moved a bunch of things out of the house? Have you gotten rid of her bed/toys anything that she "loved" like a sofa? Moves can be tough on dogs, in that, they don't understand that they are going with you. Try and take her for an extra walk later in the evening. When you get to the new house make sure the first thing you put down is her toys/bed so she knows that it's her house also...
Good luck! flowers
[notify]
Kloppers

Barked: Mon Apr 23, '12 2:31pm PST 
I do not really have anything to add but just a comparison. When Bella eats something she is not suppose to have (plastic baby teether) she will go weeks then suddenly start throwing up only at night. She eats and drinks just fine, and acts fine during the day. She threw up a piece of the teether about 2 months after she had eaten it...perfectly intact. She one time ate a puppy nylabone and starting throwing up about a week later, and threw up every night for 3 days, I guess until it was all up. I am not sure why this only happened at night, but I would think that the stomach environment changes at night and causes this items to cause upset. Sorry this is not helpful, just wanted you to know that Sage isn't alone in the night vomiting.

I hope things start looking better for you guys, we had to throw away our living room rug due to Bellas vomiting, we now have no carpeting in the house, only laminate floors.
[notify]