GO!

Licking, Gulping, Panting at Night -- Solved

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 24)  
1  2  3  
Koorazh

You can't catch- me!

Barked: Fri Aug 30, '13 5:32am PST 
Update. Koorazh continues to have this problem. There seem to be two sets of symptoms.

1. Fast breathing with a hard exhale; licking, gulping, unable to settle. He is uncomfortable but not distressed. His nose runs clear.
2. Koorazh comes to me to tell me something is wrong and want reassurance. Then we get periodic episodes of really heavy panting all night, and sometimes rear end spasms. He shows signs of distress.

These things happen separately or together and that was confusing me for a while, but I think they are two different things.

Group 1 symptoms seem to be seasonal. That is, they get much worse around August and continue bad until about November or December. I suspect some form of environmental allergy. I have tried Benadryl, but it doesn't do anything.

Group 2 symptoms -- no idea. It seems to correspond with what some people have said looks like partial seizures, or it could be that he tweaked his back running or jumping. He has had spinal xrays and a MRI, both came back clean. May be connected with overeating.

What have we tried? Prescription allergy diet; heavy duty antibiotics; heavy duty gas reducers; antihistimines (Benadryl); switched foods; switched to homemade diet and controlled portions strictly; did a complete dental work up; scoped his sinuses (showed one sided inflammation for no obvious reason).

Group 2 symptoms are more episodic and we haven't had any more since switching to homemade. These things all happen *only at night* and of course never in the presence of a vet. We just had a bad night last night -- all night, licking, gulping, shifting around; gone by 4 am, breathing quietly.
[notify]
Tucker

Earned my wings- Jan. 22nd

Barked: Fri Aug 30, '13 9:33pm PST 
I have two thoughts. First one is, have you tried any medication for nausea? Just because he isn't vomiting, doesn't necessarily mean he isn't feeling nausea when he is uncomfortable. You could ask your vet if you could try something like Cerenia or Ondansetron. If it works, it will work quickly.

My second thought, is at nine, your dog is a senior. Have you tried something like Cholodin? I have a dog who developed neurological spasms at age nine, and he is almost 15 now. His spasms are way less frequent and intense, and he is much more comfortable at night. I attribute a lot of that to the Cholodin, as well as the chiropractic care he gets. The chiropractic adjustments had a pretty immediate effect of lessening the severity of his spasms, and the Cholodin definitely helped him feel less anxious at night.

Just my two cents... smile
[notify]
Riley

Me, me, my mine.

Barked: Tue Dec 9, '14 12:12am PST 
Riley has all the symptoms of your dogs. It just started this week and your info is the only info I have found on the internet. I just tried the acid reflux pill someone mentioned. I was thinking to do the fish oil and mucinex too. She is uncomfortable and licking, panting, etc. Then several hours later it goes away? They are both on prescription diets for years. Her last check-up had her in very good health so I feel confident it is not serious.

What is the final result of anyone going through this? I am confused and unclear about what ever happened? How it is resolved? Please help.
[notify]

Kali earned- her wings- 10/21/14

She's game for- anything that's- fun.

Barked: Tue Dec 9, '14 4:12am PST 
Just a thought, is the food you have him on now completely homemade? I only ask because, it appeared, Kali couldn't have any dogwood at all. I went through what seemed like, everything on the market. She would range from being uncomfortable to full blown sick and in the hospital. She would do the same as Korrazh with coming and asking for help. I finally figured out, after years of searching that she had an intolerance to something in all dog food. Some additive or something in the process. Never figured out what that was. We ended up making a list of the people food she could tolerate and found she could tolerate Hills z/d Ultra dog food. I was completely against that food, but was at my wits end. I figured it was better than her being so sick. So, we made a mix of the things she could eat and the z/d food and bingo; it worked. We also put her on Prozyme to help her digestion. Hope that helps. smile
[notify]
  (Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 24)  
1  2  3