GO!

"Zeutering" instead of neutering

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Farley

Farlekiin the- Dragonborn

Barked: Sun Apr 15, '12 10:29am PST 
I saw this article and thought I'd share. Any thoughts? Please remove any spaces that appear in the URL.

http://www.examiner.com/dogs-in-national/canine-birth-contro l-fda-approves-non-surgical-neutering
[notify]
Cobain ADC,- SGDC, CGN

More Bored- Collies

Barked: Sun Apr 15, '12 11:06am PST 
My only real issue with it is that people can easily lie about their dog's sterility with this. But aside from that, if it's effective, hey why not?

Plus, I got my boys neutered so I wouldn't have to deal with their "bits" silencedlaugh out loud
[notify]
Scooter

Work hard; Play- harder.

Barked: Sun Apr 15, '12 11:06am PST 
Since it is soo new, I'd wonder what the ramifications down the road are. Also, I've read elsewhere that if not injected just right it is extremely painful; then again, I imagine having a needle stuck in your junk is painful anyway even if lidocaine or another numbing agent is used, which by the way, I haven't seen mentioned.

I think too many people equate neutering with a way to stop/decrease certain unwanted behaviors in addition to population control; with this method, the testes are still there.

There is also the question of how these dogs can be marked so that shelters aren't spending unnecessary $$$ snipping dogs that are already sterile.
[notify]

Charlie

The world is my- food bowl!

Barked: Sun Apr 15, '12 11:54am PST 
I agree with Scooter that I worry about side-effects that may show up down the road, but I would hope that the people in charge would be doing tests far beforehand to make those worries subside. From what I read about pricing, this might be exactly what the dog population needs: a CHEAP form of neutering that doesn't offend male owners. I still think that it's completely silly.. but it is what it is.

I'm also a little confused as to what exactly this injection does. Is it a birth control or is it permanent?
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Sun Apr 15, '12 12:01pm PST 
Long term side effects were the first thing that came to my mind too when I read about that a few days ago. But I do think it's an interesting alternative to regular neutering that could be beneficial in certain situations. Like the idea of using it in countries with huge stray populations to curb the breeding.

I think currently they're tattooing the dogs that have been zeutered and it can be marked on a microchip that the dog is sterile. Not that that's a fail proof method but presumably shelters could use that to know they don't need to neuter the dog.

Charlie, according to them, it's a one time (per testicle) injection that permanently sterilizes the dog.

ETA: This is the article I read which also has a video of the procedure being preformed. And this had some more information.

"How do you identify a treated dog? Leading microchip companies are capable of keeping neutering status in their databases. Tattooed serial numbers can also be used if a microchip is not practical. This will prevent the dog from being castrated if rescued at a later date.

During the "training period" starting in November, we will use an optional "Z" tattoo next to the scrotal area. It will be formed using a tattoo pen next to the scrotum. Since this would be the most invasive part of the whole sterilization procedure, we will have to analyze the results to see if this method will survive as a standard practice. Veterinarians familiar with the sterilization procedure will also be able to tell if a dog has been sterilized after a few months by palpating the testicles--the testicles become smaller and firmer as scar tissue forms over time.

Many dog owners are understandably concerned about onlookers and "dog run" friends giving them the evil eye--assuming their anatomically correct male dog is intact. To address this concern, we are finishing up final designs on collar add-ons and fun T-shirts for sterilized but not castrated dogs to flaunt their special status."

Edited by author Sun Apr 15, '12 12:09pm PST

[notify]
Samson

Work? What's- that?

Barked: Sun Apr 15, '12 5:28pm PST 
I think it's a good idea for shelters that need access to a cheaper means of sterilization since they do so many.

For an individual pet owner?

If I was planning to neuter my dog I'd stay the heck away from this. Neutering may be more expensive and invasive than a zinc compound injection, but it's also safer.
[notify]
Nix

Never Say No

Barked: Sun Apr 15, '12 6:40pm PST 
Seems like it has it's benefits, but I'm also wondering what the long term effects could be. Also, I might have missed it somewhere, but is this a permanent sterilization, or is it something like you have to go back and get the shot once a year or so? Again, I might have missed something...

It's not something I'd opt for my own dog, although it might be nice if rescues started doing it.. but I honestly don't think very many will. Even though it's cheaper and easier, it wont deter undesirable behaviors like wandering which result in lost dogs, and most rescue people I've talked to insist that "the earlier the healthier" when it comes to neutering and if they're not against intact dogs for the sake of pet overpopulation, then they're simply against it because "you're killing your dog."
shrug
[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Sun Apr 15, '12 7:53pm PST 
I heard that some dogs got necrosis of the testicles but apparently they have worked the kinks out/altered the formulation now? I guess only time will tell if it takes off. It's a good theory I guess, but I wouldn't want it done personally.

Edited by author Sun Apr 15, '12 7:56pm PST

[notify]
Charlie

The world is my- food bowl!

Barked: Sun Apr 15, '12 7:54pm PST 
I agree with Samson, that neutering normally seems safer. A neuter is such a simple, non-invasive surgery.. I would LOVE to see something like this done for female dogs instead, so we could avoid spay surgeries.
[notify]
Samson

Work? What's- that?

Barked: Mon Apr 16, '12 3:46am PST 
I also wanted to add that if I was going to neuter a dog it would be because I honestly believed it was the best thing for him because of existing behaviors (and of course, training had failed to alter them).

Since this still leaves about 50% of per-sterilization testosterone levels in a dog's system, that isn't accomplished. I wouldn't choose to neuter a dog for sterilization reasons, I'm quite confident in my ability to serve as a, um, prophylactic for my dog.

You achieve sterilization, don't really manage to avoid hormonal problems that can arise from neutering a dog (low hormonal levels can have the same or similar effects on the body as castrate levels do), and you get added risk from the procedure itself.

I'm definitely glad this is going to be an option out there for cash-strapped shelters, but I really hope this isn't something that will catch on to the pet-owner market. A traditional neuter is still, at least in my mind, much safer, and will achieve better results for the "average" pet owner.

That said, it's not something I'll have to worry about with Samson :3. He's perfectly fine the way he is.

Edited by author Mon Apr 16, '12 3:48am PST

[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2