GO!

sore feet

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Kobe

Barked: Sun Apr 8, '12 4:45pm PST 
hey. i'm new to dogster, although i have been part of catster for awhile...we just adopted a four month old mix named kobe.

he's doing really well except for one thing: both of his back feet have sores on them. we've gone for a couple walks and what we think is happening is that he hasn't been out and about too much and his paw pads aren't used to the wear and tear of being out. he was at a foster home where his primary exercise was on their back deck or back yard. we were at the vet yesterday (he has a minor cough which we are keeping an eye on) and she said that his pads basically need to callus up and to try not to cover them too much so they do. we think that when he walks, he's twisting his feet in a bit and walking on the heels of his feet.

so, what we've been doing (we've had him since thurs night, noticed the sores fri night) is wiping his feet with a warm, wet paper towel after walks and trying to keep them uncovered. today, because both of his back feet/ legs seem sore, we cleaned the sores with mild soap and water, put neosporin on them, and wrapped them up for a couple hours while he napped. we're going to take a break from walks for a couple days i guess. also, he's acting completely normal otherwise smile

does anyone have experience with this? i would appreciate tips on what to do for him, especially because he seems a little uncomfortable and i want him to enjoy going out for walks and running around the backyard.
[notify]
Kali

She's game for- anything that's- fun.

Barked: Sun Apr 8, '12 5:34pm PST 
Kali has a shuffle when she walks. So, if we haven't been on walks in a while, she gets the same thing on her feet, mostly her back. After two or three days of no walks, it heals pretty quick. After a few cycles, your new guy should be fine. Some of us have tender-feet. Good Luck with your new pup!smile
[notify]
Huck

GO!!!

Barked: Tue Apr 10, '12 5:56pm PST 
You can use Nu Skin to help heal the pads and also give a protective covering over them so that it does not hurt for him to walk, it works great and also get Mushers Secret to help toughen up the pads.
[notify]

Kobe

Barked: Wed Apr 11, '12 8:29pm PST 
we got these rubber boots for him to wear. they help protect his pads. i think the plan is to have him wear the rubber boots while the sores heal. once they're pretty much healed, we'll try to go a little while without. when sores start to appear again, we'll do the boots...and so on...we want them to callus. i don't want to deal with boots his whole life. this might be quite the process. lol.

he's acting better though. i think he was bummed this weekend because his feet were bothering him and he's teething. he's acting way more like the crazy naughty puppy we expect smile
[notify]
Sita CGC- SD(mostly- retired)

When we seeing- the ponies?!

Barked: Wed Apr 11, '12 8:36pm PST 
I agree with Huck. I've used liquid bandaids on pad sores & Sita hasn't had any issues walking after the application. I also use Musher's Secret. Both my dogs get it put on their feet at least once a week since they usually walk 3 plus miles a day on all sorts of surfaces.
[notify]
Huck

GO!!!

Barked: Wed Apr 11, '12 8:41pm PST 
We are like you Sita, about 3 miles a day and anywhere from 6 to 10 miles on the weekends over all kinds ot terrain. I keep the Mushers Secret and Nu Skin in my hiking backpack. I also use the Mushers Secret when we are hiking in the snow as it helps to keep the snow balls out from between their pads.
[notify]