GO!

Lump after removing a tick

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Thu Apr 5, '12 7:00pm PST 
Found a tick on Onyx after he'd been out playing, it couldn't have been attached for more than 1-2 hours. Pulled it out, got the head, rinsed the area.

Now there's a lump there, which according to my Google search, is not unusual. My question is, how long before it should go away? When should I start to worry?
[notify]
Chance

How You Doin'?

Barked: Fri Apr 6, '12 4:28pm PST 
I have no experience with ticks. Hopefully someone who does will see this!
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Fri Apr 6, '12 4:47pm PST 
The lump is almost completely gone today.

That's the good news. The bad news is I just found another tick. I removed it but I'm less sure on whether or not I got the head this time.

This is probably a stupid question but can ticks walk around if the head is detached? Because I stuck it in a bowl while I was looking Onyx over for more ticks and when I looked back at it, it was walking around. Does that mean I got the head?
[notify]

Moose

I love sitting- in laps

Barked: Fri Apr 6, '12 10:24pm PST 
Mikey got 2 or 3 ticks and as someone who's never pulled a tick off of dog, I took him to the vet to get the first one removed. I wasn't sure if it was a tick or not because it had gotten way down in there and only one little leg was sticking out.
After it was pulled, the area had a lump for a day or two from the "trauma" of the tick and then it went down over a few days.
Each tick he had, he had similar lumps after they were removed.
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Sat Apr 7, '12 4:15am PST 
Onyx, IF the head is still there it will come out on its own. It would look like a tiny black spot in the center of the bump. Usually it forms a tiny scab and falls off... that is the head.
The ONLY head I ever left (and, as a groomer, I take at least two ticks off EVERY DAY), was when I was asked to take one off a grooming client...as in the PERSON!!! She was an older lady in her late 80's. I felt terrible and I had to suggest she go to the ER. She stopped at her own doctors on the way home from here and he told her it was fine and would fall off on its own. Go figure!

Edited to add.... keep a small bottle of rubbing alcohol on hand and just drop the tick in it after you remove it. We have to use a new bottle each season since we remove so many of them! We put a HUGE label on the bottle so no one uses it for anything else.

Edited by author Sat Apr 7, '12 4:18am PST

[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Sun Apr 8, '12 1:26am PST 
Thanks, guys! The spots where I removed the ticks seem to be doing well. I got them pretty early and I've been checking him over neurotically for any more laugh out loud So far, so good.

Most of the stuff I've read did say the head will usually come out on its own and to just keep an eye on it in case of infection. I'm thinking I got it out though.
[notify]
Sanka- I'll Miss- You

The ground is my- newspaper.

Barked: Sun Apr 8, '12 8:17am PST 
I might as well be the tick master from all the ticks I've had to pull off...on the dogs and on myself!

The dogs often scab over where the tick was removed and it becomes a bump. Drives me nuts because it feels like another tick is there.

I actually left the head of the tick in me when I tried to pull one off my side. Took a few weeks, but it came out on its own.
[notify]
Coco

Barked: Sun Apr 8, '12 9:10am PST 
We live in South Jersey where there are a lot of ticks. Coco got Lyme disease and so did I. Her symptoms were weakness, stumbling in and out of her bed. A 15 day course of antibiotics fixed her right up. I am struggling with chronic Lyme and the co-infection, Bartonella. It's rough. Protect yourself and your pets from ticks. It's epidemic.
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Sun Apr 8, '12 11:37am PST 
As many ticks as I have had on the dogs, (and, myself), I have NEVER had one bite me!! For some reason I always feel them marching up my skin. It gives me the willies to even think about one biting me!!!!
[notify]
Sanka- I'll Miss- You

The ground is my- newspaper.

Barked: Sun Apr 8, '12 6:53pm PST 
It HURTS when they bite. Not like a chomp and sudden sharp pain. You start to feel some discomfort then you feel the pain. Totally a distinct feel too. I was dead asleep when one bit me. Woke me up, and I knew exactly what it was.

The worst is driving back home from a hike, and I feel one climbing on me. They're tough buggers to get off even when not attached. I stuck my arm out the window going 60 mph, and the tick still hung on. People probably thought I was trying to tell them something by the way I was flailing my arm about.laugh out loud
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2