GO!

Rimadyl & Prednisone...

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Kally

I caught a- squirrel once...

Barked: Fri Mar 30, '12 8:27am PST 
Hi all,

I'm sorry for a second post. I have a longer post below that I would love feedback for but am concerned about something a little more immediate in this post.

I gave Kally one Rimadyl last night at 5:45pm. Vet prescribed Prednisone this morning - I have NOT mixed the two and know you can't do so. I am wondering when I can now give the Prednisone - should I wait a full 24 hours after the Rimadyl was given - which would be around 6pm tonight? Wait until the morning? Tomorrow night? Vet tech said go ahead and give Prednisone now but I honestly don't know if she knows.

Any experience with this?
[notify]
Dora

A-Dora-ble!

Barked: Fri Mar 30, '12 8:53am PST 
Prednisone is nasty stuff even though sometimes absolutely necessary. I've had to be on it myself, and had a cat who had to be on it for a while, and I know how insistent both my doctor and the vet were about exactly following instructions with prednisone. I would insist on speaking to the vet, and if you can't, wait the 24 hours.
[notify]
Scooter,- PAWS

Power of the Paw- for those who- need it

Barked: Fri Mar 30, '12 12:07pm PST 
I would check with your vet. I know you are right...they shoudn't be mixed....I just can't remember if it's 24 hours or not. Hopefully your vet is open on a saturday...if not, perhaps call an emergency vet to see if they can answer the question. I would hate to tell you the wrong thing.
[notify]

Kally

Barked: Fri Mar 30, '12 1:50pm PST 
Thanks for the responses... my vet's office said go ahead and start the Prednisone. My mom called her vet and asked her just to get a second opinion and she said go ahead and start it to. So I gave her the first dose...

Thanks again smile

Scooter! I don't know if you have read my other post I did this morning about disc problems... I read your previous posts and diary and it sounds like you had a similar issue as I think Kally is having. That's wonderful that surgery was so successful. I'm hoping it doesn't come to that with Kally and have been worried so much frown
[notify]
Kayak- "Mighty- Moose Angel"-

Snoodledawg

Barked: Tue Apr 3, '12 9:42pm PST 
a surprised that your Vet suggested to give pred so soon after giving rimadyl, usually they have to be off rimadyl at least a week before starting up on pred. How long was your pup on rimadyl and has he had bloodwork done prior to starting the medications to make sure his kidneys are okay to handle the medications? Hope the pred works for the back problem, it is a good medication for back problems. Have you also tried acupuncture, this works well also.
Best wishes.
[notify]
Kally

Barked: Thu Apr 5, '12 8:50am PST 
She hadn't been on the Rimadyl long term - two doses in the week and half prior to starting the Pred - and before that only as needed - it had probably been a couple months or so since she had any. Maybe this is why they said go ahead and start the Pred? Since she hadn't been on the Rimadyl long term?

So far, she seems to be feeling much better. Lots of rest for her - I think she is starting to get bored and it's difficult to keep her restricted but so far she seems to be doing well smile
[notify]
Scooter,- PAWS

Power of the Paw- for those who- need it

Barked: Fri Apr 6, '12 10:20am PST 
Kally, I need to check that out. I'm not sure I knew you were having back problems. I had a herniated disc and it sounds like yours is different? That's where my experience came from. If I remember correctly, I had been on something similar to rimadyl...I had only taken it a couple of days. My neurologist wanted me off of it so he could put me on predisone post surgery. I think I was off of it for a day and a half when he switched me to the predisone post surgery.

Edited by author Fri Apr 6, '12 10:31am PST

[notify]