GO!

Bald patches on elbows??

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

alfie

were's the ball,- were's the- ball........

Barked: Thu Mar 29, '12 2:16am PST 
Hey every1,

I bathed my dog last night and when drying him i found he had bald patches on both his front elbows. He has a bald patch surround by broken furr. There is no reddness or slitting of skin, its just very had. I'm almost sure its callouses, he's 5 years, not sure on his weight at the min (but i know he's carrying a bit extra). And he's a collie cross. I've been watching him and from what i can the bald patches appear to be at the correct angel to the floor when he's laid. He does sleep on the carpet, he has a bed but pays no attention to it. He also has a cushion from a old sofa i had, which he does sometimes sleep on, but its still fairly hard.

So what do you guys think, is it callouses? I know you cant really tell without pics, and i'm at the vets with him today for his booster so will ask her to check. Im just impatient and wanted to know now! laugh out loud
[notify]
Bruno CGC

Honorary Kelpie

Barked: Thu Mar 29, '12 2:51pm PST 
just sounds like normal elbow calluses.

Bruno had them when I first adopted him- rough, hairless, pink patches on each elbow, most likely from lying on concrete (they didn't have any bedding at the shelter I picked him out at.) They went away after a few weeks of lying on soft beds instead.

If they're not swollen, red, or cracked, I don't think it's really a vet issue, mostly an aesthetic one (calluses are ugly.)
[notify]
alfie

were's the ball,- were's the- ball........

Barked: Fri Mar 30, '12 3:27am PST 
wave Hi

I had alfie at the vets yesterday. She checked him over for me and confirmed that they are calluses. She said nothing much an be done about them if he wont sleep on a bed, she said its possible that he just gets too hot and prefers the floor. She advised me to put a towel down where he sleeps, i did that last night and the cheeky so and so slept some where else!

So unless i can get him to sleep on the towel, which i cant see him doing if its making him too hot, im afraid theres not much i can do. Other than keep an eye on them and make sure they dont crack or become infected.

Not too bothered about them becoming an eyesore as he's fairly long haired so you can't really see them unless your searching for them! lol

Thanks for the reply x
[notify]