GO!

Hernia after being spayed

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Maggie

Trouble maker

Barked: Sun Aug 28, '05 11:02am PST 
So, Maggie got spayed a few weeks back. The day we got her home she was totally out of it but the following day she was back to normal -running, chasing, jumping. She actually broke the doggie door trying to get to the pool. We tried to keep her activity level low but it was really hard and now she's developed a hernia.
Has anyone else had this problem?
It's not bothering her at all, and until it does surgery isn't really an option.
[notify]
CH Jokar's- RC Pacific- Sojourn

Happy to be a- Canine Good- Citizen!

Barked: Sun Aug 28, '05 7:49pm PST 
Maggie should not have a hernia after surgery. This is not normal. I would definitely call the vet and have it checked out. Remember, Maggie just had major surgery--a hernia means there is a tear or hole thru the muscle, etc. Her inside organs could protrude thru this hernia, then you and Maggie would have huge problems. Please let us know what the vet thinks--
[notify]
Maggie

Trouble maker

Barked: Sun Aug 28, '05 9:12pm PST 
We've talked to the vet and although a hernia after surgery is not normal it can happen from too much activity. It's only protruding out and it's from her stomach muscle. Nothing leaking/causing her pain. And we've been told as long as it doesn't cause her any pain or starts causing problems surgery won't be required.
[notify]

Opal

The Little- Cow-Print Engine- that Could

Barked: Mon Aug 29, '05 3:02am PST 
She probably tore some stitches with all the jumping after surgery. Not to fault you! I know how hard it is to keep a "sick" pup quiet.

But I wouldn't just talk to the vet about it. I would take her in to have her looked at. The other point is right, as to organ protrusion, etc. And unless you take her to see the vet, there's no way to know if there's internal bleeding/leakage until it's a serious problem.
[notify]