GO!

Cyst on eyelid... is this adequate treatment?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Gracie

Respect the- Gracie!

Barked: Tue Mar 20, '12 9:16am PST 
I brought Gracie to the vet this morning to have a growth on he eyelid checked. It started as what looked like a small skin tag a couple of months ago, but yesterday it started bleeding and I noticed that it had grown considerably. The vet looked at her and immediately got a tissue, squeezed the cyst, and drained it. She said that it was just a small fluid filled cyst that should go away after she drained it. She gave us an antibiotic and some eye drops for conjunctivitis. The vet was in the room for about 3 minutes, and she said to come back if it came back... which, it never actually went away, soshrug

Anyone have any experience with this?
[notify]
In Memory of Callie

Just call me Her- Magesty

Barked: Tue Mar 20, '12 9:29am PST 
Callie had a eyelid tumor removed in January. It started getting so big that it was affecting her blinking. There was no question it had to come off. If you want to see pictures of it to compare let me know and I can send them to you I dont have very good luck posting pictures here.
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Thu Mar 22, '12 6:19pm PST 
Our Mika has had recurrent cysts on her eyelid.We used warm compresses and antibiotic ointment before finally taking her in to get it checked,we already had a scheduled visit and it wasn't very long away. When we took her in it was back for the third time in 5 weeks. Our vet told us as long as we could get them to drain as we had been no further treatment was necessary but if they would not drain or became large enough to interfere with her range of vision or seemed to bother her surgical remooval would be our best option.We haven't had a new one since the last one drained just after that visit to the vet and it has been a year.
[notify]

Monroe

Barked: Sat Oct 20, '12 10:34am PST 
I just wanted to know how you are doing. I have a cyst on my eye and have been advised that it will cost almost $600 to have it surgically removed and checked for cancer. My mom is trying warm compresses and hoping that it will shrink on its own, but so far it hasn't budged. Any advice and follow up would be appreciated.
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Sun Oct 21, '12 9:21am PST 
It can take awhile to get them to drain but as long as they drain my vet says they are not an issue. Mika hasn't had one in over a year since the last one drained. We are very fortunate that we can get good quality vet care at a very good price,our vet quoted us $150. for removal. Mostly anesthesia & pathology. Hoping for the best with your pup.wishes
[notify]
Shadow- *CGC*CL2*CL3- *

Is it time for- agility yet?

Barked: Sun Oct 28, '12 5:34pm PST 
My mom's dog has one that is reoccurring. It goes away for months, comes back and then bursts open, drains and is gone again. This has been going on for years and years. Our vet has never been concerned about it and since it does go away and has never gotten infected we just leave it alone.
[notify]