GO!

Back Leg Injury - need immoblizer/sling/help

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Hobbes

Wheres My Ball

Barked: Wed Feb 29, '12 9:10am PST 
Hobbes has severely injured one of his back legs. He either sprained a knee and possible injured cruciary ligaments. He's also undergoing chemo, so his strength is down & he's struggling with using 3 legs to support his weight. He's on prednisone which is also going to drag out his healing time. This is just a horrible injury to add to my already ailing dog. As you know, steroids make them pee like crazy & he can barely support his weight to pee all he needs to - so he's falling over. Ugh.

I found some websites for splints, immoblizers, etc... But before I go ordering something, i thought i'd check with all the experts smile

anyone? Help? THANK YOU!!!!!!!!
[notify]
Tessie

Which way did- they go?

Barked: Wed Feb 29, '12 9:17am PST 
I'd do crate rest and use a sling to help him walk.
[notify]
Scooter,- PAWS

Power of the Paw- for those who- need it

Barked: Wed Feb 29, '12 10:30am PST 
Oh Hobbes...what terrible timing...especially while you are fighting this cancer.

Most will use a towel, but for longer term use some will buy a sling. I think what you need to be mindful of is one where you as the human are not slumping over...that's th eproblem with towels...it's not good for your back so if you can get something that allows you to support Hobbes while standing in a normal, walking position, that would be your best bet way to go
[notify]

Hobbes

Wheres My Ball

Barked: Wed Feb 29, '12 11:50am PST 
Ohhh Scooter ........ tell me about it! My mom is about to have a full on breakdown. Because now I can't walk and need to pee 10x a day due to these steroids!

I thought I Had found braces online but they are mostly custom orders and I'm looking for an off the shelf solution STAT!

We have a sling from the vet's office now but its very wide & covers his whole "male" undercarriage. Soooo... i have to pull it out for him to pee.

paws crossed! again ...
[notify]
Rexy

I dig in mud- puddles!

Barked: Wed Feb 29, '12 1:18pm PST 
So sorry to hear this!! hug

What about these options?
click here
[notify]
Chance

How You Doin'?

Barked: Wed Feb 29, '12 1:56pm PST 
The Yahoo groups I'm on recommend the RuffWear Web Master harness for mobility stabilization/assistance. It can be used on dogs that have undergone hip/knee surgery. The rehab vet Chance is now going to sells them in her lobby. They are very nice.

You can take an inexpensive tote bag and split it to make a sling. It's already designed to carry a load, has convenient handles and you can customize it so he can pee.

Off the rack braces may not provide the proper support where it is needed. I know even the custom braces can be tricky to properly fit.

Poor guy. hug
[notify]
Hobbes

Wheres My Ball

Barked: Wed Feb 29, '12 5:24pm PST 
Rexy - i was on that page today, found the perfect solution and they are 'temporarily sold out' of our size frown I like how you think wink

And Chance - thanks! I'm going to check it out! We did get a big sling from the vets, which is great but it is so wide it covers EVERYTHING underneath so he's kinda peeing all over it. LOL. So i'm trying to find something with peep holes smile

thanks all!
[notify]
Rexy

I dig in mud- puddles!

Barked: Wed Feb 29, '12 5:54pm PST 
Sorry to hear they were out of what you wanted Hobbes!

Might want to try these guys:

click here

I ordered a Bite Not collar for Rexy from them last year. They were easy to deal with and we had the collar in about a week (we're in Canada).

Chance, I love the tote bag idea and will remember that!
[notify]
Wellington- 4/14/01 - 2/18/13

No I'm NOT a- Saint Bernard.

Barked: Wed Feb 29, '12 8:32pm PST 
Don't know if this will help but many vets carry a simple sling you can buy immediately. (Like the blue ones with handles. We got ours about 5 years ago for only $12. But you have to put it under their belly each time you want to use it. And the handles never seem to be adjusted to the right length. We then found a great harness that can be worn by the dog for extended periods. It has both a back handle AND a rump handle. When you see they need to get up you can just grab the handle and lift. It really helps my back too! They're not cheap but have been a huge help during a spell when 170 lb. Wellington couldn't walk at all. The one we got is called "HELP EM UP". We saw a dog with one at our vet and just googled it.
[notify]
Wellington- 4/14/01 - 2/18/13

No I'm NOT a- Saint Bernard.

Barked: Wed Feb 29, '12 8:34pm PST 
Hobbes: I forgot to tell you the best part about the wearable lifting harness. The dogs can easily go to the bathroom with it on!
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2