GO!

Fire Ants....

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

River

Always hug your- puppy...

Barked: Wed Feb 22, '12 2:39pm PST 
We have been travelling since early October, and have run into ... thankfully .... just a few fire ants eekeekeek

BRUTAL!

What I need to know.....if River inadvertently steps on a hill and gets bitten....what the heck can I give her! I am saying immediately before we can get to the vet!

shock
[notify]
Zephyr

Barked: Wed Feb 22, '12 3:48pm PST 
Umm. Most fire ant bites are really not vet emergencies unless your dog has a reaction and usually that only happens if your dog happens across a nest. If your dog does have a reaction, Benadryl will be your only real option until a clinic appears (2mg per pound usually but double check with your vet).

For just reducing pain and itching there are a few options: Ammonia on a cotton ball followed by a baking soda and water paste will help.

For people meat tenderizer is quite popular. I haven't been bitten by one in ages though. We treat the yard. smile
[notify]
Theodore aka- Teddy - **CGC**

Big Head. Big- Heart.

Barked: Wed Feb 22, '12 3:49pm PST 
eeeek! Fire ants are miserable. River, I hope you keep your cute little paws safe! cloud 9
[notify]

River

Always hug your- puppy...

Barked: Thu Feb 23, '12 4:31am PST 
wave Thanks Pups!

They hurt like the dickens...I would be horrified if River got bitten...

eek
[notify]
Nakita Mae- Angel Girl

Live to dock- dive!

Barked: Thu Feb 23, '12 8:42am PST 
Yuk!!! we hate ants, they are so very gross. Here they built these huge grassy looking mounds which are so interesting to the dogs for some reason. I carry benadryl with me in my car just in case we have any problems with my dogs getting into something like a wasp nest, ants or anything that can cause an allergic reaction. I also carry a small towel this can be used to wipe off the ants if they do get into them, you don't want those little nasty things getting on you as you wipe off the dog.
Geez, just thinking about fire ants creeps me out, fortunately here we can see the large mounds, once spring arrives they are active and building their "dirt castles". Ewwwwwww!!!
[notify]
Kloppers

Barked: Thu Feb 23, '12 9:49am PST 
A few years ago we lived in SC and had tons of fire ants all over our yard. My dog Zoe stepped in a mound and got many bites. The vet just had us give her Benadryl to help with the itching. She did fine afterwards, other than the initial yelping and the swelling that followed. My husband is allergic and actually went into anaphylaxis from fire ant bites..so if a dog is allergic I would assume it would be more dangerous.
[notify]
The Roo- Crew™- ©®

We go together- like peas &- carrots

Barked: Thu Feb 23, '12 10:16am PST 
Hi, River!wave

We have domestic Red Fire Ants here (Not the imported kind from Texas which are much nastier).

But an FYI, they are attracted to grease and meat. Don't leave any food out, and if you leave your bowl on the ground, make a moat of dawn dish washing liquid with some water around it. Ants can't swim.

As for the relief, we've used caladryl with some success. Hosing off with water only makes them MADDER.

Momma was standing in a swarm and jumped in a pool, thinking that would make them come off. Nope! They just bit harder! And they leave really ugly pustule wounds.

If you leave your shoes outside, you can put them on a cookie sheet of water mixed with dishwashing liquid so you don't end up with them in your boots the next morning. Not fun to wake up with that!

Anyway, we hate 'em. naughty But... sometimes you just have to live with them.

Learn to recognize the hills. They are messy. way to go
Terra

Bonzaiiiiiiii!!!- !!!

Barked: Thu Feb 23, '12 11:10am PST 
We have nasty fire ants up here. When I take Terra out, I keep Benadryl on hand. The joy of having an AmStaff is their pain tolerance so she usually ends up with tons of bites before it starts to register she's in pain. The dose I was told by my vet is 1mg per pound.

If she gets bit/stung, I usually hit the area with white or apple cider vinegar. It takes the sting out. Also, I'll occasionally use a dark brewed cold black tea. That helps a lot too, just don't let your dog lick the tea due to the caffeine.
[notify]
Turner - Gone Too- Soon

Hi I'm Turner- Wanna Smell My- Butt?

Barked: Thu Feb 23, '12 6:03pm PST 
Turner was allergic to stings - any kind of stings. Benedryl is your friend. Also keep some hydrogen peroxide on hand. For yourself. It actually takes the sting away... If your pup licks it, he may get a tummy ache...

Fire ants are the devil! naughty
[notify]