GO!

Something stuck in his throat?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Moose

I love sitting- in laps

Barked: Tue Feb 14, '12 6:51pm PST 
Moose and I were out for a walk about an hour ago. Half way through the walk he started acting as if he had something caught in his throat. (he was getting kibble and super small pieces of hot dog as treats as we walked).
Mikey would act similar when he got something caught in his throat, usually from not chewing the treat thoroughly, and the action he took to dislodge the treat was always successful.
Moose started doing the same thing. Kind of like regurgitating and squeezing his throat as if to dislodge it forward.
Nothing came out of Moose's throat when he first started doing this.
It really seemed as if something was caught and since I saw Mikey do this so many times, I just waited for him to push it up into his mouth, chew it and off we'd go. But, nothing came up for a while.
Then he finally threw up some kibble and I thought that would do it, but he kept acting as if something was caught in his throat. More throwing up and more trying super hard to get out what was bothering him.

Once he would stop with throwing up, I tried to get him to walk home, which was only about 15 houses away.
He seemed ok with proceeding, but when he breathed through his mouth I could hear what sounded as if something were blocking his throat.
About every house, he'd quickly walk to the lawn and work super, super hard at dislodging something. Once more he threw up more kibble, but still he wasn't comfortable.
Once he started to proceed again, he would get distracted with people and then he wanted to eat the typical stuff on the ground that he tries to eat every day.
When we got home he proceeded to sound as if something were still caught. He tried coughing it out, but nothing came.
Then he got playful and played for a bit, then went and got some water about 20 minutes ago, came back to the living room to chew on his toys and started it all over again. This time he was able to bring up more kibble. But, on this go 'round he tried and tried and tried to cough it up and that's when I called the vet.
They suggested possibly, maybe, kennel cough, but it just came on so incredibly quickly and it really seems as if he's trying to dislodge something.
They want me to go to the emergency vet tonight if it gets worse or if I get panicked.

So, if this is food that's lodged in his throat, wouldn't vomiting dislodge it?
If it isn't food, what do you think this could be?

Right now he's lying in the kitchen waiting for dinner which I don't think he'll be getting tonight.
He's been pretty quiet since I've been on here for the past 10 minutes and when he's breathing through his nose, I can't hear anything. But when he breathes through his mouth, which only happens when he's trying to dislodge it, I can hear what, again, sounds like something obstructing his airway.

Ugh. I just don't want to have to have him sedated to do a scope down his throat to find out what's going on.
But, of course I'll do whatever it takes.
[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Tue Feb 14, '12 7:37pm PST 
If you can stick your fingers in his mouth and kind of sweep the back of his throat. Pups are like little hoovers and often suck up stuff that just gets stuck. Also check the roof of his mouth as they sometimes get stuff caught between the molars. I had a dog years ago that had a concave(maybe wrong)larnyx. If we put a collar on her she would hack and gag until we took it off. It did correct as she grew somewhat. Either way if it doesn't stop I would see the vet.
Hope he is ok.
[notify]
Moose

I love sitting- in laps

Barked: Tue Feb 14, '12 8:09pm PST 
Well, maybe it is kennel cough. Now he's, what I guess is, coughing and then he tries to hack something up.

He's acting totally normal. He's just starting to amp up so we've got to get out for a walk.

I'm sure he'll be doing this in the morning so I'll take him in to the vet to get a diagnosis.
If it is kennel cough, I'm guessing he picked it up at his puppy class. He didn't have a class last week and if he does have kc, I guess he'll have to miss tomorrows class.
[notify]

Mr. Jake the- Beagle

I am Murphy's- Law Embodied! <3- Me!

Barked: Tue Feb 14, '12 8:32pm PST 
jake does that if he gobbles down his food. he lurches and gulps and lurches and eventually vomits up dinner. And wont' stop for several hours. Usually a 12 hour span depending on if he vomites or not. I just do touch and go. His additude nor gums changed at all so i left it alone and the problem resolved itself.

Though i don't feed him if he vomits since that usually just produces more vomit. but it may be from gulping. but if he's acting normal i'd wait to see yoru regular vet and not an E-vet if you can wait.

good luck.
[notify]
ROSCOE

The World Is My- Playground

Barked: Tue Feb 14, '12 8:48pm PST 
I used to gulp my food too and 1 1/2 cups of kibble gone in 2 minutes so I now eat it out of a treat ball and it takes me 15 minutes as I scatter it all over the floor and take the time to chew each piece. The ball looks like a gerbil ball and is made by Premiere. No more throwing up at all.

Sometimes small kibble can end up in a lung if they inhale inseads of chew. Please kep us postedhug
[notify]
The Roo- Crew™- ©®

We go together- like peas &- carrots

Barked: Tue Feb 14, '12 8:57pm PST 
Do you have a humidifier? I don't know where you live, but if its dry in the house, it might help.

Feel better, Moose!hug
Trigger

*Blackdog*

Barked: Tue Feb 14, '12 9:01pm PST 
Does he eat grass?

Trigger will do the exact same thing sometimes after grazing. I think it's because the blades can lay flat up against the esophogus - can be tough to get all the way down or back up.

Stuck fur/hair strands can produce similar issues if he's a self groomer (or just likes to lick stray strands off the carpet or accidentally ingest ones that toys have picked up.

Feeding a slice or two of dry bread (whole) has helped him in the past.
[notify]
Moose

I love sitting- in laps

Barked: Tue Feb 14, '12 9:43pm PST 
I thought about giving him a slice of bread, but just decided to do a wait and see.

He started to cough when I sat on the floor with him earlier and he crawled in my lap with one of his toys and he laid across my legs. I got up when he started coughing and within a few seconds he stopped.

He hasn't coughed or hacked in over an hour and is acting totally normal so I'll wait to see what's going on in the morning.
[notify]
Shandi *Oct- 2006 - Aug 2012*

Goofball

Barked: Wed Feb 15, '12 12:00am PST 
It may just be something lodged. If it's lodged in his airway then throwing up wouldnt dislodge it. But kennel cough does come on rather quick and it sounded like it was alot worse on the walk. I dont know what you use to walk him but usually dogs dont stop hacking etc on walks if they have kennel cough.
[notify]
Gypsy Road

I\\\'m Bad!!

Barked: Wed Feb 15, '12 1:30am PST 
I get like that when I get fur caught in my throat from licking. Has he been licking/biting lately? Mom and Auntie rub my throat and try to get me to drink some water when it happens. They also think that sometimes I do just for attention as well, but most of the time it's fur that is caught. I hope that you feel better soon.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2