GO!

dog throwing up brown smelly liquid

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Johnny Cash

the dog in black

Barked: Wed Jan 25, '12 12:18pm PST 
About an hour ago my dog suddenly threw up a large amount of brown liquid and it smells really bad. He had been acting fine all day, ate lunch, playful etc. I cleaned it up and he did it again about 1/2 hour later. Another large amount of the liquid (nothing else in it). It happens very quickly (no retching). He has never had vomit like that before. He seems fine after, he drank water, wags his tail at me and seems quite happy. Any ideas what could be causing this or if it might be something I need to have checked. I am home alone with no car but hoping for some info or maybe someone who has had this happen before because it is a new one for me. Thanks!
[notify]
Indiana- Jones

Car?! Did you- say car?!

Barked: Wed Jan 25, '12 1:31pm PST 
Some dogs throw/spit up. If your pup ate/drank and then played, it's possible he shook up his tummy. Did he eat anything unusual? Did he get sick right after eating or was it hours later? Do you feed table food? Indy had pancreatitus (sp?) and had to go on a strict chicken/rice diet for a few weeks. He was given a clean bill of health after re testing and he is back on his regular food. Before I had Indy tested, he was thowing up almost every meal for 4 days, so I'm not saying this is what your pup is going through. But I know Indy has a sensitive stomach and can't handle some things. Especially certain table foods. He will get a bite here and there, but now it's only pre spiced/oiled food and sometimes pre cooked. So I've been real strict on what he gets outside his normal dog food.
[notify]
Johnny Cash

the dog in black

Barked: Wed Jan 25, '12 1:57pm PST 
thanks for the reply and the questions! It would have been more than 3 hours after his lunch. As for eating anything unusual that is the problem, he eats anything and everything edible or not. It is not too rare for him to throw up but I can normally see something in it that points to the problem. this was just pure liquid and lots of it, something I have never seen before with either of my dogs. He rarely is given any people food although I did give both dogs a little bit of lean roast beef last night (which he has had before with no problems). It hasnt happened in 2 hours now so I am hopeful but still worried. He was really wanting his dinner so I gave him some plain rice and will see how he does.
[notify]

Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Wed Jan 25, '12 2:12pm PST 
Does he eat poop???? That will make the most smelly, nasty puke I have ever seen!!! And, as you describe, it is usually just dark brown liquid.
Occasionally we have one daycare dog who will snack on it IF she gets a chance and she will ALWAYS give us the nastiest vomit ever!! Smells WORSE than poop.
[notify]
Johnny Cash

the dog in black

Barked: Wed Jan 25, '12 2:22pm PST 
oh yes, sadly he is a poop eater!shock He did that alot (both his and his doggy brothers) during his first year or so and it never made him sick. I dont think he does it as often anymore (I dont smell it on his breath, yuck)so I wonder if it could suddenly make him sick?
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Thu Jan 26, '12 4:53am PST 
I would honestly get him to a vet. Blockages can also cause that to happen and can be fatal.
[notify]
Scooter,- PAWS

Power of the Paw- for those who- need it

Barked: Thu Jan 26, '12 5:21am PST 
hoping you are feeling better! I was going to ask if he ate poop too. I agree with previous poster...it can STINK up the joint laugh out loud I used to be a poop eater...but every once in a while I would throw up brown smelly vomit and mom is almost positive it was from eating feces.

After I puked it up, i felt better after that way to go
[notify]
Johnny Cash

the dog in black

Barked: Thu Jan 26, '12 11:17am PST 
he seems to be fine today. He never did throw up again thankfully! I was concerned about a blockage since he eats odd things so I watched him carefully. He was playful last night, eating rice, drinking and not in any pain and was also pooping normally so I think those are all good signs. If it ever happens again I will be calling to check it out. Oddly when I went to the local pet store today to buy some more carpet stain remover the owner said her dog did the exact same thing with the brown liquid this morning but he threw up 14 times!! Needless to say her pooch is going to the vet today. Thanks so much for the replies!

Could a dog that is a poop eater suddenly get sick from it I wonder?
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Thu Jan 26, '12 11:40am PST 
That was what concerned me. Since he had a history and wasn't sick like this before it seemed odd that it would happen now. Glad he's feeling better. Perhaps he ate some poop that had something in it that upset his stomach? I have no idea. Just glad to hear he's better!!
[notify]
Johnny Cash

the dog in black

Barked: Thu Jan 26, '12 1:57pm PST 
thanks so much, I am very relieved!
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2