GO!

i think some people like their dogs chronically sick

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 2 of 4: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  4  
Beauregard

Barked: Sun Jan 8, '12 12:59pm PST 
I read that in Great Britain veterinary students take courses so they can be educated on the symptoms of this and other abuse disorders but veterinary schools in North America provide little information about on this. I think all vets should have to learn about this.
[notify]
Sarah,- CW-SR,- CW-G1, CGC

Million Dollar- Mutt

Barked: Sun Jan 8, '12 1:01pm PST 
We had a student at the school I used to work at who we believe was a victim of Munchausen by proxy. Very, very sad. He is doing okay now, but mom is doing a lot of psychological and emotional damage.
[notify]
Farrah- ♥12/9- 7-3/06

I love Bosco,- Jack & GR

Barked: Mon Jan 9, '12 6:14am PST 
Those type of people really upset Mom. All of us, here at Dogster, know what it feels like to have a dog with health issues...chronic or not...and it hurts. The people who have the nerve to fake their pets "illness" ought to have those pets taken away and given to homes, who will care for them. Then those "people" should be put on a NO PETS ALLOWED list. :
[notify]

Sanka- I'll Miss- You

The ground is my- newspaper.

Barked: Mon Jan 9, '12 6:32am PST 
Oh my god, I was just thinking this the other day.

There is someone on facebook who is constantly talking about how their dog is ill and costing them money by all the times they take him to the vet. Then people tell her to stop feeding raw, and she gets into fights about how good raw is.

If you want to advocate how good raw is, don't give us a play by play on how your dog's poop is mushy or when he throws up on a daily basis. (not at all bashing raw, I think it's great)

But, it's like constant. I don't think they are doing anything to make the dog sick. I just think they look for little things so they can say the dog is sick and enjoy the sympathy/attention.
[notify]
Beauregard

Barked: Mon Jan 9, '12 6:48am PST 
@Farrah, I totally agree with you. It would be good if there was a
NO PETS ALLOWED list but I'm sure some byb and puppy mills would sell dogs to anybody as long as the person could pay. What makes me mad is if a dog attacks a person the dog could be put to sleep but if a person attacks a dog they might just get a fine or something. That sure doesn't seem fair to me.
[notify]
Lucille

I am the Sock- Bandit!!!

Barked: Mon Jan 9, '12 7:09am PST 
MbP is extraordinarily difficult to diagnose and to get help for the target of the medical care/abuse in humans. The kid is lucky if it's caught by the time they're in high school. Outwardly the symptoms are of a caring and involved parent. It takes a long time for the pattern of MbP to emerge, and if the family moves and changes doctors and schools (also common in the disorder)it can be almost impossible.

I highly doubt anyone would pursue any action if the target is a pet. About the best you can hope for is the vet's office starts realizing and refuses to treat...then the sick person will just go find another vet to give a bunch of their money to. All AC sees (understandably) is a person who is going to great lenghts to medically care for their pets, they have 'real' abuse and neglect cases to deal with, so they're not going to do much if anything.

Thankfully, it's a pretty rare MI.
[notify]
Adam

Vaccine free- -Disease free- goes pawinpaw

Barked: Mon Jan 9, '12 8:22am PST 
How do we help someone then ourselves? There's one person specifically I'm thinking of not from here but another dog group and we exchange friendly email. When she says about how it's such a struggle for her and is demanding the vet to give more medications when the vet doesn't want to, she turned to buying them online pharmacy. I don't know how without a prescription unless she lied? Anyway but whenever she talks about this I try to say something positive instead of "poor you and dog" I say something like "think positive" and she won't respond to that. Unless I say "poor you" she doesn't reply about it anymore to me. I was afraid that maybe because of how I'm not so supportive of certain medications sometimes, that it was just me but I really think she has this. She's been giving her dog valium she bought over the internet for her epileptic dog, but she gives it when he's not having seizures, she'll give it if she thinks he looks "off" when he wakes up for example. And I know valium isn't for prevention it's only to give to stop a seizure that's happening. Plus it's the valium she bought online without the vet's support. Then she says how drugged up her dog is to the point he can't walk straight, and how she can't handle it.

It's made me think of myself too, I have and would continue to choose medications myself for my dogs but while working with a vet or professional. I'd also, in the situation Sanka described, never give up on a raw diet or blame the balanced and appropriate raw diet for a problem. What a thin line this is...except I see the difference when someone just does this and feeds on the attention.
[notify]
Beauregard

Barked: Mon Jan 9, '12 8:37am PST 
I wonder if a dog really didn't need a medication if the vet could just give the dog some placebo's so the person would think their dog was getting medication but really the dog wouldn't be getting actual medication. shrug
[notify]
Adam

Vaccine free- -Disease free- goes pawinpaw

Barked: Mon Jan 9, '12 9:35am PST 
They could be sued and lose if they did that or by chance the dog did get sick from no treatment. She gives the dog valium every 4 hours and confided to me it's not from or directed by any vet. The dogs a zombie.
[notify]
Beauregard

Barked: Mon Jan 9, '12 9:58am PST 
@Adam I mean if the dog was obviously healthy and the person was just making up symptoms. I wonder if this person your talking about actually as this Munchausen by proxy or is she is just overly afraid of her dog having another seizure. As you know it is horrible to watch a dog have a seizure. I used to be a so scared when Beauregard had his seizures I always worried when was he going to another one. Maybe if she is so scared of her dog having a seizure she'll do anything to stop a seizure from happening. Maybe you could suggest a safer natural alternative to her. I hope that you tell her what she is doing is dangerous to her dog. I wouldn't care if she got mad or not and if she didn't listen you would know that you tried your best to help her and her dog. If it was me I couldn't stand by and do nothing. I think that poor dog's well being should come first.

Edited by author Mon Jan 9, '12 10:00am PST

[notify]
  (Page 2 of 4: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  4