GO!

dog in heat what expect

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Shadow

Barked: Fri Dec 2, '11 6:14pm PST 
sorry first dog i have had go into heat and have researched but bit confusing sorry if i seem dumb was going to have spayed but my cat got sick so havent had time or money she had light blood yesterday and seems darker today she licking more today and whiny what else should i expect and what stage could she be in?
[notify]
Sadie Jo- Forever in- our hearts

Helping others - one dog at a- time

Barked: Fri Dec 2, '11 6:23pm PST 
Depending on the dog they usually last 2-3 weeks. Some can become destructive and try to get out so be sure to watch her closely. Avoid taking her to places with other dogs (dog park pet store etc). You can get diapers and pads at a pet supply store to avoid messes in the house.
[notify]
Samson

Work? What's- that?

Barked: Fri Dec 2, '11 6:34pm PST 
Lock-down time. No unsupervised time, period, until this is over. Typically a heat lasts ~3 weeks, give or take, after you notice the first symptoms.

These are all possibilities, not givens, but expect some mood swings. She might forget her housebreaking at times. You'll probably have to put up with more whining, pawing at the door, she might get a bit "frisky" etc.

Go to the pet store and get her a diaper. If you plan on keeping her intact a washable cloth/velcro diaper is probably best in terms of planning for the long run but if you are going to spay her after this heat cycle the disposables are probably not a terrible option either. They can get expensive, though. The diaper stays on in the house. This will keep her from "spotting" your furniture and floors with blood, and keep any accidents contained should she forget her house-training (this isn't a common problem though from what I hear just want you to be prepared for the worst). Give her plenty of time to "air out" though. You can take her diaper off when she goes in her crate, for instance. Use some old towels or a puppy pad or something in there. And obviously remember to take it off when she goes outside to break unless you want a bigger mess to clean up smile.

If she is outside, she is only outside with someone who can supervise her every last second of that time. No going outside with her to work on some project. If you lose sight of her that's asking for trouble. If you are heading out and the purpose is not to spend time with her or take her on a walk or what-have-you, she stays in the house.

She might get destructive. If you have an intact male in the house two locked doors between them at all times. Keep her in a locked room preferably not with any outside windows when you are away. In her crate if you have one and she is crate-trained. Some dogs will break through windows. I haven't personally heard any actual accounts of this happening but I've heard it "can" happen...even if it doesn't happen or is rare that isn't a bad idea.

About three weeks from now or so there will not be any more discharge and you can rest a little easier.

Edited by author Fri Dec 2, '11 6:42pm PST

[notify]

Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Fri Dec 2, '11 6:46pm PST 
You want to watch her AT THE MINIMUM, three weeks.
Starts with light bleeding, that is day one. Gradually progresses to heavier, darker bleeding for 8 to 10 days, then becomes very light and almost a clear pinkish color or even none at all. At this point her vulva will be swollen, like HUGE, soft and wet. This is the most critical stage as this is when she will be ovulating and is most likely to get pregnant.
This stage lasts for 5 to 7 days average, then the discharge may completely stop OR will be brownish and thicker.
HOWEVER... all these days are "average" and some dogs can and do ovulate on day 5 or on day 18. Add the fact that sperm can survive for up to 5 (or more) days within the uterus, and the eggs can survive for 48 hours before becoming non-viable, there is a lot of room for her to get pregnant!
She should be most receptive to a male from day 12 to day 17 or so, but, never forget, this is an average!
My poodle came into heat on Tuesday and she would have let ANY of my boys breed her (and they would have, BOL) yesterday. She is older so things do change more, but still, you cannot be too careful! (Just for the record, she was spayed yesterday as well, since she was being placed in a new home this weekend and my vet agreed to do it while she was in heat.) BUT, even spayed, she will still be attractive to males for the next two weeks or more since those hormones are still in her system.
For the first week or 10 days she should be acting pretty normal and people get really lax about watching them during this period, thinking nothing is going to happen. Then, the heavy bleeding stops and people think they are done and it has ended. NOPE, this is when she goes crazy for any male dog she can find AND all the male dogs within about a 10 mile radius suddenly park themselves on your door step.
The biggest difficulty for us multiple pet owners is telling when it is safe to let her back with the males. I NEVER do that until at least 21 days, and, depending on how they are acting, some take even longer.
Usually (another average), the female will not be at all receptive to the male and will actually drive them away from her during the first 10 days or so AND again when she is finished at day 21 or so.
Don't make the common mistake of thinking that female "panties" will prevent a male from tieing with her...they are very aggressive when it comes to breeding! And, speaking of ties, yes, she can get pregnant without a tie... if he ejaculates near or on her vulva those little spermies certainly know how to swim and will!!
Good luck!
[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Fri Dec 2, '11 6:53pm PST 
We use old bed sheets to cover carpets, you can get them every where for really cheap. If she is whinning at the door she may be one of those really creative girls. Keep her leashed at all times when outside and preferrably just out for potty and quick walk and back in. You may have visitors be wary of them, some males get highly aggressive. Not sure if you have other dogs, even females get squirrelly around a girl in heat sometimes.
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Fri Dec 2, '11 6:57pm PST 
I just visited your page and saw Willow. I want to caution you that a female in heat IS acting differently due to hormones and two females who have lived together for years can suddenly decide to kill each other when one is in heat.
Again, this usually will be more of an issue while she is receptive, or during day 10 to 18 or so, so make sure you do not leave them alone together unsupervised! It is not at all uncommon for them to fight, in fact I NEVER leave any females together while anyone is in heat.
[notify]
Shadow

Barked: Fri Dec 2, '11 7:28pm PST 
atm shadows in my bedroom cuz she slightly grumpy willow has roam of the house we do have create but she seems to go be worse in kennel like she got um cant think of word lol where dont like tight spaces lol we just go for quick in and out i let her in dog run for 5 mins to run around i stand inside dog run so she can burn of energy all rooms i could put her in has windows sadly ill try pick up diapers bit broke from the cat till pay check next friday i do hope to fix her before next heat
[notify]
Shadow

Barked: Fri Dec 2, '11 7:50pm PST 
and as far as i can tell her vulva looks huge
[notify]
Missy

Miss- Pig!

Barked: Sat Dec 3, '11 5:34am PST 
Everyone else covered it pretty much, but when Missy had her heats i waited in total, about 6 weeks, before walking her around other dogs. You can never be to safe!
[notify]
Shadow

Barked: Sat Dec 3, '11 10:04am PST 
but after 3 weeks can i let the two girls play willow thinks shes missing out on something lol she tends thiink with her tummy
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2