GO!

GABA

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Josephine

Yeah, I can do- that, but I- won't!

Barked: Tue Nov 29, '11 4:31pm PST 
Jojo just got a prescription for 100mg Gabapentin/Neurontin for her arthritis pain. I know, it is common in vet practice to prescribe this, but I don't feel comfortable with a few things:
1) Jojo is a 45lbs ACD. The dosage should be 1.4mg per pound dog. The capsules come in 100mg and 300mg..
2) That stuff is even in human medicine a prescription med for neuro pain, skin issue pain, seizures.... I think it is an anitconvulsion med. I know from my own experience what impact it has on a human brain. A high dosage can have great impact..

I have no real question here, only I am insecure about what to do..
Do you have experiences with this drug in arthritic dogs? How about the dosage? Long term effects?
Alternatives?
Happy woofs from the girls, sonja
Sanka- I'll Miss- You

The ground is my- newspaper.

Barked: Tue Nov 29, '11 7:17pm PST 
Well, no info on the dog perspective, but I, the human, took gabapentin. I had no ill side-effects. In fact, the gabapentin didn't really do much. Though, I felt it was more of a shot in the dark from the doc's perspective. Assumed I had both head migraines and stomach migraines...so that's why I tried gabapentin for a month or so.

But anyway, what did the vet say about the dosing? How much do you give a day?
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Tue Nov 29, '11 9:26pm PST 
I too tried it from the human side. Unlike Sanka I did have serious side effects,I bled alot from even small cuts,Had purpura (unexplained,or no injury prior)bruising,and several disassociative episodes where instead of being in the room in an active manner I felt like I was watching things go on around me,without me. I only lasted 4 days then had to quit due to side effects. It was prescribed for me for restless leg snydrome. I would certainly look into it more and see if the vet can't give you more information before using it if you're concerned about it. There may also be other options for your pups pain that will work just as well with less potential for side effects. Best of Luck to you both,you and your pup. Hope pup is feeling better soon.
[notify]

Kayak- "Mighty- Moose Angel"-

Snoodledawg

Barked: Tue Nov 29, '11 10:47pm PST 
Hi there, gabapentin is used to break the pain reponse that is sent to the brain from the painful area. This medication works well in animals who have been experiencing pain over long periods of time. After awhile if animals (and humans) have been in pain for quite some time such as arthritis pain, their brains actually expect to be in pain and will react even if there is little pain and tell the body it is in the "normal pain" that it is used to, the gabapentin breaks that communication so to speak. It really does not do anything for the pain as in anti-inflammatory or analgesic properties.
It does have addition problems in humans, animals???
[notify]
Josephine

Barked: Wed Nov 30, '11 8:47pm PST 
thank you guys, for your responses! I asked my vet and she said that we should try it first. She had a similar explanation. We also give Jojo Rymadil. It seems to help...... Hope it will last.
I will keep you posted, sonja and the girls
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Thu Dec 1, '11 5:19am PST 
Sonja,
We too,hope that the new meds give JoJo some relief. It's so difficult to watch them in any kind of pain.Please keep an eye out for side effects to avoid any type of complication and once it's working,it does take a bit,keep an eye out for injuries because the Gabapentin will dull the response to pain.Best of Luck and we hope JoJo is feeling better soon.
[notify]
Josephine

Barked: Thu Dec 1, '11 7:40am PST 
will do.. thank you dog walk
Josephine

Barked: Wed Dec 7, '11 11:32am PST 
the gabapentin is not working for Jojo. On the opposite - she is not doing well on it. She had one day where we thought that it did, but it was only this one day shrug
We will stick with the Rimadyl and will go see a Chiropractor soon. I think there might be something she can do. I am just not fully buying the diagnosis.. Just a gut feeling.
Well, we will see where it goes.
Best to you all, just wanted to keep you up to date. Best, sonja and the girls
Beauregard

Barked: Wed Dec 7, '11 1:14pm PST 
Please check this website about Rimadyl.
http://www.all-creatures.org/aip/nl-20090728-9.html
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Wed Dec 7, '11 11:44pm PST 
We hope you are able to find a med that is both safe and effective for Jojo. I was afraid of strange side effects but know that even two people from the same family can have very different reactions to the same drug so wouldn't necessarily rule out trying it. So sorry it didn't work.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2