GO!

My dog has started to foam at the mouth, while at the dog park

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Little Buddy

Barked: Sun Nov 27, '11 8:10am PST 
I have a 8 yr old red tri-color BC (Border Collie). I
got him at 7 months. We have always gone for walks, played fetch and visted dog parks. Dog parks really help with a young active dog.

As my dog got a little older, we stopped going to the
private pay dog park, near where I use to live, due to the high cost each month. We still went to parks, so
my dog could run and play. So, for about 3 yrs, we did
not go to a dog park.

I moved 8 months ago and just found a dog park near me. He likes the new dog park, but has started started to foam at the mouth, even in cooler temps. Something
he has never done before. Other dogs do this to. I'm
wondering why this might be happening? He does not foam at the mouth when playing fetch, or tug-o-war.

Maybe he runs and plays harder, at the dog park, or
something like that.

Dogs in the park will bump into each other and get slobber on each other. I'm just wondering if my BC,
could get sick from this, and why he has started to foam at the mouth, because it didn't happen in the
past, when at a dog park. Is it maybe age or something else?

He is 8 yrs old and has slowed down a little, but is still fairly active, when we have cooler temps in FL.
He has never been real active when it is hot out. The dog park has water, so that's not the problem.

Doug Jacksonville, FL

Edited by author Sun Nov 27, '11 8:45am PST

[notify]
Talker

Talk of the- Town!

Barked: Sun Nov 27, '11 8:39am PST 
It could be a few things - excitement or aniexty about being with other dogs.

You may want to take your pup for a really good walk BEFORE you take him to the dog park to release some of the energy or anxiety.

The dog park should be used as a means of play/reward and not the place to release his energy (IMO). When dogs come to a dog park full of unreleased energy which could cause problems with other dogs.

Give it a try and see if the foaming stops. Try taking him for a good walk before you enter the park to see if it helps.
[notify]
Tanuk CGC

Sherpa Tanuk of- Everest

Barked: Sun Nov 27, '11 12:31pm PST 
Additionally, it's common for dogs to foam some when there are tons of really awesome new smells, just like a dog park would have.
[notify]

Ava & Nix

Suburban Farm- Dogs

Barked: Sun Nov 27, '11 1:54pm PST 
My Ava does this. In her case I know it's anxiety. She doesn't really enjoy going to dog parks, but she likes being with us, so when we take Nix (who adores other dogs and loves the dog park) she comes along. She sticks to herself, sniffs trees, grass, corners... just pretty much tolerates the other dogs without really playing with them.

But like others have said it could be anxiety, excitement, tons of new smells, etc.
[notify]
Samson

Work? What's- that?

Barked: Sun Nov 27, '11 3:31pm PST 
It's normal. Just anxiety and/or excitement.
[notify]
Sanka- I'll Miss- You

The ground is my- newspaper.

Barked: Sun Nov 27, '11 3:42pm PST 
Another thing to consider in addition to the others is ticks.

A tick, fully engorged, plopped off a dog and was on the ground by the gate. A few dogs sniffed or took a lick and promptly started foaming at the mouth.

If this foaming is happening every time, I'd venture to say it's just excitement though.
[notify]
Murphy

Smurph Man

Barked: Sun Nov 27, '11 4:07pm PST 
Murphy gets this every time we go and it's due to the smells for him. He will run around and sniff everything! His face is usually really wet and muddy by the time we leave laugh out loud.
[notify]