GO!

Cysts on uterus?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Bella

Barked: Thu Nov 24, '11 9:11am PST 
Hi all - just got back from vet with Bella as I thought she might have had a UTI - she's drinking lots of water put only passing small amounts of urine and pees 3 or 4 times on a walk with just little or nothing coming out. She also has a mucus discharge.

The vet gave her ultrasound and said she looks like she has cysts on her uterus. He did not remove the uterus when she was spayed. He said he considered it but decided not to as he doesn't usually. However she now appears to have this problem. He mentioned pyometra at first but then said she didn't have that (thankfully). She's on antibiotics - metronidazole - 2 tablets twice a day and he said he would use something to break the cyst down as a last resort.

Has anyone elses dog has this? Bella was spayed a few months back and we had terrible trouble with her wound after. She just seems to have one thing after another!

I can't find any information about cysts on the uterus in dogs anywhere. Can anyone help?

Thanks
Bella's mum
[notify]
Mr. Pibbs- *CGC*

Snuggle up!

Barked: Thu Nov 24, '11 4:16pm PST 
Ummm, I'm kind of stunned.
I have never, ever, ever heard of not removing the uterus in a dog when spaying.
Personally, I would take her to another vet ASAP and have her evaluated. Don't forget to take the results of her ultrasound (actual pictures) and all surgical notes. By law, if you are paid in full, they must provide her records.
Please let me know what happens!
Poor little thing.cry
[notify]
Gunther

Barked: Thu Nov 24, '11 4:35pm PST 
Yeah thats kinda odd if you paid for a full spay that they left the uterus in there. One of the reasons why people spay is to prevent a uterine infection. So really the ONLY benefit your dog is getting from being spayed is no puppies
[notify]

MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Thu Nov 24, '11 6:33pm PST 
Bella,
I'm with Mr Pibbs on this one. I have heard of removing only the uterus in a partial spay but not removing the ovaries and leaving the uterus. I would get her records and consult another vet as soon as you can. As far as the cyst on the uterus you might just want to complete the spay and if possible sue the old vet in small claims court to pay for the surgery to be done by another vet. Best of Luck to you and Bella we hope you get the problem resolved quickly and get her feeling better.
[notify]
Bella

Barked: Sat Nov 26, '11 8:07am PST 
wow I'm really stunned at your replies. I had no idea it was usual to remove the uterus. My vet said he never does? when he said she had an infection I asked if he needed to open her up again and take out the uterus but he said no. I will def. consult another vet. I just want her to be well -she's had such a hard life and is so loving despite it all. Thank you all for your replies.
[notify]
Mr. Pibbs- *CGC*

Snuggle up!

Barked: Sat Nov 26, '11 5:05pm PST 
Bella-I don't proclaim to be an expert but I do work as a vet assistant and have also worked at a spay and neuter clinic for the past 2 years so I've been around several vets who do S&N's. Hope you don't mind but I'd like to share some info that might be helpful:

The reasons both the uterus and ovaries are removed:

Uterus-Pyometra (a potential life threatening condition) can develop when fluid is retained in the organ and becomes infected. The best cure to prevent/cure this is removing the uterus.

Ovaries-After about 3 heat cycles the risk for mammory cancer increase dramatically. Unfortunately, some vets will drop an ovary and just leave it. This happened with my Libby so she still has occasional hormonal issues and is still at the risk of the increase in cancer.frown

I am so glad you are getting a second opinion and wish you well with your beautiful little pup. She's lucky to have you!
[notify]
Zoey, Shellie & Griffin

Natural & Loving- it!

Barked: Sat Nov 26, '11 8:58pm PST 
I have seen cysts on the ovaries lots of times, but cysts in the uterus I haven't seen, I have seen tumors of the uterus. Are you sure it was the uterus that he left in and not the ovaries? Ziva was partially spayed so still has her ovaries. It is pretty normal for vets to remove EVERYTHING when they spay a dog/cat (ovaries, uterus, fallopian tubes etc)
[notify]
Violet

Patience...it's- what I've got.

Barked: Sun Nov 27, '11 7:24pm PST 
Like everyone else has said, it's very unusual that they would not remove her uterus. I've never heard of this. Your veterinarian sounds questionable at best, so in light of that I'd definitely have the entire situation re-evaluated by another veterinarian. Good luck!
[notify]
CoCo

Full of Beans!

Barked: Sun Nov 27, '11 7:51pm PST 
Bella is a beauty!! Please post a update after you consult another vet. I am very interested in this as well . Hope everything works out rainbow

Edited by author Sun Nov 27, '11 7:53pm PST

[notify]
Bella

Barked: Wed Apr 11, '12 9:33am PST 
Well having got second opinion she did have pyometra and vet said she was so ill he didn't know if she was strong enough for the op. Thankfully she was fine. He showed me the uterus and it was full of mucus. She is now on antibiotics -zindolin and it has now been 12days. We were back twice this morning as the wound is not healing and he had to put in 3stitches because fatty tissue was coming out from the wound. I thought her intestines were falling out!! She is eating well but just can't get the wound to heal. She now has a collar to stop her licking it so hopefully that will help. Lots of fluid still leaking out the wound, vet says it's normal and just needs time to dry up.

Thanks for all your replies. Fingers crossed! She goes back next wednesday.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2