GO!

Costco Glucosamine

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Abby

Barked: Fri Nov 4, '11 9:50pm PST 
I often hear people say they use Costco brand glucosamine for their dogs.

Which one exactly? I went to Costco today and they had 2 kinds. Both were a hard pill. One had MSM and the other had choldroitin. Which one is better?

Also, what is the dosing for this kind?

Thanks!
[notify]
The Roo- Crew™- ©®

We go together- like peas &- carrots

Barked: Sat Nov 5, '11 7:52am PST 
Our vet said if he were to chose, to use the one with MSM over chondroitin.

But remember that MSM can have anticoagulant effects. Not major, but some.
Sassy

Princess and the- Pea

Barked: Sat Nov 5, '11 9:00am PST 
Sassy used the Nature Made brand from Costco. I threw away the Kirkland brand, I could tell easily it wasn't as effective as the Nature Made with MSM.

This worked great
Nature Made TripleFlex Triple Strength Supplement 750 mg
This one I threw away
Kirkland Signature Extra Strength Glucosamine and Chondroitin Sulfate

but you might try this one Kirkland Signature Extra Strength Glucosamine with MSM
[notify]

Tanuk CGC

Sherpa Tanuk of- Everest

Barked: Sun Nov 6, '11 11:59am PST 
We use the Costco brand Glucosamine with Chondroitin. From what I understand, if you're using it as preventive, get it with chondroitin, if your dog already has issues, get it with MSM. The chondroitin acts to protect the joints and ligaments, whereas the MSM helps rebuild damaged cartilage.

Tanuk gets the full human dose of two pills, and Glacier gets one pill.
[notify]
Snickers

Barked: Sun Nov 6, '11 1:08pm PST 
According to this site (not sure how reliable, but it was one of few I could find when I just searched this yesterday) http://www.ehow.com/about_5484012_suggested-dosage-glucosamine-dogs. html#ixzz1cxgJXkIs

A typical dose is roughly 10 mg per pound daily. For example, a dog 24 to 50 lbs. takes about 500 mg daily. The dose is adjusted up or down for dog weight. It may be split into two doses given 12 hours apart.

I have a giant bottle from Costco, it's their Kirkland brand, and I figured I'd give it a try since it's much cheaper than brands marketed for dogs. The Kirkland brand (with MSM) are 1,500mg or Glucosamine and 1,500mg of MSM per two (two tablets).

Edited by author Sun Nov 6, '11 1:12pm PST

[notify]
Abby

Barked: Sun Nov 6, '11 1:22pm PST 
Thank you for all your responses!
[notify]