GO!

Swollen incision after spay

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Khloe

Life has 2- options-- Chase it or eat- it.

Barked: Sat Oct 1, '11 5:01pm PST 
Khloe was spayed yesterday and slept most of the day after I brought her home. Today she is more like her normal self, wanting to play and run around. I had something important scheduled for today (I tried to get out of it, but couldn't), so I left Khloe with a very trusted friend for a few hours. I wrote down instructions on how to take care of her and help her recover. I wrote on the list not to let her play too rough or jump up on anything. When I go to pick Khloe up, my friend tells me she took Khloe for a 40 minute walk around the yard. eek Maybe it's my fault for not being more specific, but I thought not letting her jump up or play hard also implied no walks...

I looked at her incision site after I brought her home and it's really red and puffy. We called the vet and they told us that Khloe was actually glued back together and not stitched up, and to clean it and put neosporin on it, but it was normal for it to do that. I know she wasn't that red and swollen when I left her with my friend, but maybe it IS normal.

Can you guys give me some advice on what to do to help Khloe?
[notify]
Khloe

Barked: Sat Oct 1, '11 5:32pm PST 
Here are some pictures:

Swollen Incision 1

Swollen Incision 2
[notify]
Tipper

The puppy on the- Stairs.

Barked: Sat Oct 1, '11 5:33pm PST 
As long as she seems to feel okay and the incision doesn't get hot and swolen or open up, she is probably fine. I wouldn't think walking would do any harm.

hug

Edited to add, the pictures don't look bad at all. I am sure she will be okay.

Edited by author Sat Oct 1, '11 5:37pm PST

[notify]

Khloe

Barked: Sat Oct 1, '11 5:39pm PST 
Thanks! I apologize if I sound paranoid. I've never had a dog spayed before (all my females were spayed before I got them... frown ).
[notify]
Mishka

Toes are my- candy!

Barked: Sat Oct 1, '11 5:42pm PST 
The puffiness is probably from it being irritated by all the exercise. Though sometimes incisions can also be agitated by grass or dirt, so neosporin will probably help a little. She should especially take it easy now. That little bump looks like a starting of an hernia(sp?). Not a big thing to worry about as it's not an uncommon thing to occur, but it's something that should be watched to see if it gets bigger.

My Mishka had the same thing to occur after her spay, but fortunately it went a way on it's on. (She also had a reaction to the stitches, so she stayed puffy for a long time.) Even though it was difficult, I made her stay as calm as possible.

I hope she has a speedy recovery! puppy
[notify]
Khloe

Barked: Sat Oct 1, '11 5:46pm PST 
Thanks Mishka! Right now, Khloe's in her crate with her cone on so the incision isn't irritated anymore by her over exerting herself (or licking it). I'm going to keep putting neosporin on it, but I hope it's not a hernia. That sounds really bad. frown
[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Sat Oct 1, '11 6:05pm PST 
Poor girl. I agree it is not uncommon for incision sites to get a bit puffy. The neosporin should help but be careful that you are not irritating it further by being over diligent.
[notify]
Mishka

Toes are my- candy!

Barked: Sat Oct 1, '11 6:08pm PST 
Oh wow, I didn't mean to worry you! red face They are not usually bad. It is pretty common to happen after spays. Most of the time they correct themselves. Actually Mishka isn't the only one who had the hernia, so did Libby. Both went away on their own, in a month or so.

Her incision really doesn't look that bad and the bump is very tiny.

She will be alright. smile
[notify]
Sarah,- CW-SR,- CW-G1, CGC

Million Dollar- Mutt

Barked: Sat Oct 1, '11 6:54pm PST 
The incision doesn't look bad at all. Just keep it clean! I think the bump at the top is probably just her belly button. I wouldn't be worried about it at all. I've had about 50 foster dogs in the past couple of years and almost all of them were spayed/neutered right before they came to my house, and their incisions looked a lot like that, if not a little bit more red.
[notify]
Khloe

Barked: Sun Oct 2, '11 6:49am PST 
Thank you everyone. I'm sorry I sound so paranoid. frown I feel a little bit better.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2