|Barked: Fri Sep 16, '11 5:47am PST |
|If you are in the US - for any type of potential toxin ingestion I will ALWAYS suggest calling ASPCA Animal Poison Control - 1-888-426-4435 FIRST - it is associated with a small fee but that fee gives you (and your veterinarian) complete access to the best toxicology resource in the US
I look at the $65 fee as an totally FAIR charge for these potential outcomes:
1 - total peace of mind (not guessing and speculation) that the item will not harm my pet
2 - appropriate at home first aid to minimize the risk to my pet and potentially avoid a more costly trip to the ER
3 - a treatment/medical plan with a high rate of success proven through years of use/modification to ensure the best possible outcome for my pet.
The ASPCA hotline is available 2h/7 and your call is answered directly by a specially trained veterinarian (not support staff or receptionist) with access to a very large computer database with information on all sorts of potential toxins. There is always a BOARD CERTIFIED toxicologist on staff or on call. All of the information provided by this service is based on toxicology and medical/symptomology research (from their own facilities as well as from Vet Schools and Medical Research facilities), literature review, treatment protocols, case-data review (IE every case they consult on - they follow up on to ensure that their recommendations are continuing to minimize health risk) and ASPCA created AnTox™, a powerful, clinical, animal toxicology database system, to identify and characterize toxic effects of substances in animals.
I am not exactly familiar with the product you mention which is why ASPCA Poison Hotline is a better resource but I can give you a couple suggestions/tips.
1-Fluoride is TOXIC to dogs and cats. Most products manufactured for pets will NOT include fluoride for this reason. If the label lists fluoride as an ingredient then you should call poison control and your vet ASAP.
2-Most animal/pet specific dental products are manufactured and tested to be safe for consumption by your pet since it is really hard to get your pet to spit after brushing. This usually means that they do not include known toxic ingredients but they can still include ingredients that may have been found to be toxic recently or have been recalled due to recent reactions/sickness. Think antifreeze human toothpaste from china that flooded our market a couple years ago - it took awhile to get this recall out to all consumers but poison control was on top of it as it unfolded - this is why calling poison control rather than your vet can be advantageous - they can review national trends not just regional or small town trends and pick up potential product contamination more rapidly.
3-Too much of any one thing can be bad - especially when it involves the GI tract - I would be prepared for any number of GI symptoms that may become severe enough to require vet visit - Vomiting, diarrhea, potential foreign body obstruction (from the tube/packaging - if it was consumed), pancreatitis (super fatty, flavorful, or oily food can cause inflammation of the pancreas which can be very painful and cause severe illnesss) etc...
I hope this helps! Please keep us updated!
ETA - Papillions are a breed that is predisposed to pancreatitis so watch for symptoms including but not limited to the following ----
1 - inappetance
2 - abdominal pain which may present/look like:
--stretching especially into pray position (butt in air with front legs out in front and head down)
3 - nausea which may present/look like:
--excessive lip-floor-self-human-toy licking
--food aversion - IE won't eat HIGH VALUE food items
--consumption of large amounts of water in short period of time followed by immediate vomiting of water
4 - vomiting more than 4x or more frequently than every 48 hours.
--in some cases they are still able to eat small amount of food and will keep it down while vomiting small amounts of yellow liquid or white foamy material as little as 1x per day
5 - diarrhea/soft stool soft stool should improve over 24-48 hours where liquid diarrhea should not last longer than 12hrs in a dog your size.
All about Acute Pancreatitis - petplace.com
Edited by author Fri Sep 16, '11 6:04am PST
|my posts | my page | msg me | my family's posts | gift me | become pals|| [notify]|