GO!

Frontline, Advantix - Not for my dogs!

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 9: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  
Maggie

Maggie aka "the- nibbler"

Barked: Thu Sep 1, '11 7:44pm PST 
I'm sorry to hear about your problem with fleas. I stopped using all of these products a couple of years ago.

Edited by moderator Fri Sep 9, '11 10:35am PST

Edited by forums moderator
Tessie

Which way did- they go?

Barked: Thu Sep 1, '11 9:04pm PST 
what does this have to do with Frontline and Advantage? This has been out there about Hartz and Sargents for years.
[notify]
Fritz

Fritz, cats are- fun when they- run

Barked: Fri Sep 2, '11 3:41am PST 
Comfortus is the best flea preventative I have ever used. Advantix will keep biting flies off. I would never let ideology stop me from using the most effective product to protect my dogs. We live in the deep south, fleas are a year round problem.

the other thing one should realize is that "all natural" doesn't mean it can't be toxic and dangerous too. Lots of very toxic substances occur in nature, if the flea product wasn't made from something toxic to fleas that a dog can tolerate, like frontline, it wouldn't work.
[notify]

Leah, CGC

All the Beauty- with none of the- Brains

Barked: Fri Sep 2, '11 5:39am PST 
Nevermind.......confused

Edited by author Fri Sep 2, '11 5:40am PST

[notify]
JJ

Wanna play- fetch...huh...hu- h....huh?????

Barked: Fri Sep 2, '11 6:12am PST 
@Maggie as a representative for Merial, the makers of FRONTLINE brand products, please keep in mind this video is not about our products. FRONTLINE does not contain pyrethrins or pyrethroids as an ingredient.
FRONTLINE brand products are manufactured using a unique, patented formulation that includes a special grade of fipronil which is made in Germany exclusively for Merial. These products have been studied for more than 15 years in over 41 studies by notable veterinary researchers.

Unlike generic flea and tick products, FRONTLINE products are eligible for a satisfaction guarantee! Speak with your veterinarian about the guarantee or if you have additional questions you can call our FRONTLINE hotline at 800-660-1842.

Visit www.completekiller.com for a FRONTLINE coupon...hamster dance
[notify]
Tanuk CGC

Sherpa Tanuk of- Everest

Barked: Fri Sep 2, '11 7:09am PST 
"Natural" flea and tick medicines and drops can kill a dog or cat just as easily as a "chemical" one can.
[notify]
Adam

Vaccine free- -Disease free- goes pawinpaw

Barked: Fri Sep 2, '11 9:19am PST 
It surprises me that so many try to discourage natural. Yes even water can kill in large amounts. But it takes miniscule amount of pesticides to be harmful, and an excess amount of *most* natural to be. (not comparing cats and dogs though) Everything "natural" must be used correctly though. (ETA: by the way, I think "all natural" on labels are a marketing gimick alot of the time)

Edited by author Fri Sep 2, '11 9:27am PST

[notify]
Cooper

SNOW BABY

Barked: Fri Sep 2, '11 12:31pm PST 
i think what you use really depends on where you live. like using garlic for fleas, that might work in alaska, but not in florida! i also think you have to weigh the good with the bad. we use comfortis for fleas (works GREAT!), but this year we had ticks for the first time ever! i put the advanitx II on my dogs. i hated to, but i couldn't have ticks on my dogs or in my home! i also had a company come out and spray a couple of times. first time for that also. i needed to act quickly and make sure what i used was going to work, otherwise i would love to use all natural products, but like i said, the good with the bad....

dog
[notify]
Fritz

Fritz, cats are- fun when they- run

Barked: Fri Sep 2, '11 7:52pm PST 
Adam, shrug No one is talking about water, here is a natural product. It comes from flowers
(The pyrethrins are contained in the seed cases of the perennial plant pyrethrum (Chrysanthemum cinerariaefolium), which is grown commercially to supply the insecticide.) Wikipedia is not a credible source, but it has gathered the information one can find at many university and medical sites in an easy to read/understand format.)

Many times many deadly poisons occur in nature, you don't want to mess with a poison arrow frog in its natural habit. It secretes a highly potent nerve toxin. Strychnine comes from a tree for Dogs sake.

People, natural can be good, but typhoid is natural too shock and you really don't want it.

Don't assume all natural products are safe or that all formulated products are bad. Do some research and practice your critical thinking skills.

Edited by moderator Fri Sep 9, '11 10:36am PST

Edited by forums moderator
Adam

Vaccine free- -Disease free- goes pawinpaw

Barked: Fri Sep 2, '11 8:15pm PST 
"you don't want to mess with a poison arrow frog " no one is talking about poison arrow frogs either when talking about using natural products as alternatives to cancerogens like frontline. Water was an example..as in saying yes I know natural products can be toxic also, usually when in excess. Dog owners who go natural really do much more research...or they soon find their dogs not doing well if they don't bother to research. Kind of like conventional, only that takes longer for the damage to show and by then it's sadly too late too many times.

"practice your critical thinking skills"

Really uncalled for, Fritzwave

The fact is...people who go natural with their dogs usually have to do alot more work than owner's using conventional and more accepted/standard health routes for their dogs. I don't know how you can fail to see where critical thinking plays a necessary role in holistic and naturopathic health. But this is nothing new to you....and I have replied to your comments to belittle "natural" owners over and over saying we do think, we do research. Guess some things just won't change eh?

Edited by author Fri Sep 2, '11 8:21pm PST

[notify]
  (Page 1 of 9: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9