GO!

Why is Koda's fur turning pink?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Koda

Fly by chomps

Barked: Tue Aug 23, '11 5:29pm PST 
I've noticed in the last couple of months that Koda's fur is starting to turn a pinkish-orangey color. Not all over, mainly along the side areas up above his front legs & on his chest. I checked his skin & that seems o.k. & normal in color. The fur is only turning pink along the middle portion of the of the hair shaft, not the base or tip of the hair (if that makes sense).

Does anyone know what could be causing this? My girl, Minna, used to have this happen to the fur on her chest. When I asked the vet about it she couldn't find an explanation for it.

I'm wondering if it's because he's laying on our deck? It's stained a faded orangey-brown color, but it hasn't been stained for 2 years. Our backyard is also covered in cedar chips for the dogs, so no grass. Could it be from him laying on the cedar chips?

It doesn't seem to be affecting his health at all, he's not unusually itchy or anything, it just looks a little strange that I have this pinkish orange dog now. thinking

Edited by author Tue Aug 23, '11 5:30pm PST

[notify]
RENO - In Loving- Memory

Barked: Tue Aug 23, '11 7:20pm PST 
I know that dog saliva can do this to light coated breeds, well probably to dark coated ones too just not as noticable. Particularly if they are excessivly licking themselves for whatever reason. shrug
[notify]
Snickers

Momma is the- center of the- universe...

Barked: Tue Aug 23, '11 7:38pm PST 
I assume it's his guard hairs, not under coat? Is it possible it's his natural color, it just didn't show when he was younger?

As it's in the middle of the hair shaft, it doesn't seem likely it's stained with anything. I would think stained fur would be all on the ends of the fur and only where is came in contact with the stain.

I'll ask around......shrugshrug
[notify]

Snickers

Momma is the- center of the- universe...

Barked: Tue Aug 23, '11 7:56pm PST 
I found a few mentions of Husky' fur turning red, but in relation to fur loss due to Follicular dysplasia (non-color linked). Since he's not loosing fur, it doesn't fit....
[notify]
Foxxy

Pocket Wolf

Barked: Tue Aug 23, '11 8:09pm PST 
that orange is from the dog's saliva. That happens to a lot of dogs. It could be any number of things from the minerals in his water, to the kind of food, to certain mostly harmless bacteria that stain surfaces orange.
[notify]
Taylor

We don't- doodle!!!

Barked: Wed Aug 24, '11 12:28pm PST 
Both Taylor and Georgie got pinkish/reddish staining on their front legs and the tops of their front feet from licking them after running in the field. They get pollen and dust and stuff from running thru the long grass, then come home and lick it off. End of Summer, end of problem and the hair gradually goes back to normal white.
[notify]
Koda

Fly by chomps

Barked: Wed Aug 24, '11 5:25pm PST 
Thanks for the responses everyone! The licking thing would make sense to me, except he's pink in areas that seem like they'd be hard for him to get to, like his shoulder areas. Yeah, I agree, if it was stained from the deck or cedar chips it should be along the whole hair shaft & not just the middle portion, just thought I'd throw that idea out there. I can't tell if the pink color is just on his guard hairs or undercoat, I'm thinking it's the undercoat?thinking
[notify]
Dunlop

Dunlop-named for- the rider not- the tyer

Barked: Sat Aug 27, '11 4:03pm PST 
Any other critters that could be doing the licking? Part of Dunlop's fur grows in kinks and it's the raised bit of the kinks that get discoloured from the grass. Could it be something he got on his skin that's stained the fur as it grew out? Also if Dunlop has any patches of dead hair they turn a coppery shade and the rest of the hair can still be black... Normally under his ears and in his feathers.
[notify]

Barked: Mon Sep 23, '13 1:23am PST 
Did you ever find a reason for this? My dog has the exact same thing. Middle of the hair shaft. Definitely not from licking. It's on her white fur around her heck, on her feet and her fringe.
[notify]
Tucker

SQUIRREL! !

Barked: Mon Sep 23, '13 9:12am PST 
We have natural wood chips in the back and they were staining tuckers feet orangey color. I thought at first he was causing it. Until I walked back there bare foot and I had orange feet. He could be licking the areas too. Do you notice him excessively licking himself?
[notify]