GO!

Dew claw ripped off

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Riley

Treats?? Oh- yeahhh!!

Barked: Sun Aug 21, '11 7:02pm PST 
Riley's left dew claw got completely ripped/broken off 2night. His quick is just hanging out there. It didn't bleed too much and he hasn't really messed with it. What should I do? Does the vet have to do something to it? Do I bandage it? He likes to chew cloth, so I'm not sure if he will leave the bandage alone.
[notify]
Trigger

*Blackdog*

Barked: Sun Aug 21, '11 7:19pm PST 
If it isn't bleeding much I'd leave it alone for right now. Bandaging it might cause him to mess with it and make it worse.

Because they CAN bleed and hurt a lot when left like that I'd bring him in when you get a free chance to have it snipped up with some local anesthetic. If it's just hanging there or the skin was snagged a fair amount they might remove it entirely and add a stitch or two to make sure it doesn't snagged again and made worse.
[notify]
Riley

Treats?? Oh- yeahhh!!

Barked: Sun Aug 21, '11 7:23pm PST 
The whole nail casing is gone. Think I'll call Dr. Andrea in the morning to see what she says, but I know there are others out there who have had something like this happen. I feel so bad for him, but he's being a real trooper...
[notify]