GO!

purina dog food good or bad?

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your dog's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your pooch!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster’s choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 8: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  
Baily

I LOVE ME SOME- TREATS!!!

Barked: Tue Aug 16, '11 3:23pm PST 
I come home today to see my mom with a bag of dog food she sets it down and the brand name is purina dog food. I have heard tha this food can cause health probs.Do you feed this food?We have a yellow Lab and a cream and wite Peakingese I dont know if matters on the breed.?

sorry correction my mom is feeding my dogs PEDIGREE is that good or bad?

Edited by author Wed Aug 17, '11 10:40am PST

[notify]
Sophie

A Princess ;)

Barked: Tue Aug 16, '11 3:32pm PST 
Purina isn't great. It has a lot of fillers, corn, and not a lot of meat - which is what dogs need.

See this thread for more info: http://www.dogster.com/forums/Food_and_Nutrition/thread/518898

An d also: http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/
to see what brands rank high/low and why they rank that way!

Some cheaper good quality brands are Canidae and Taste of the Wild.
[notify]
Milton

Im just a little- guy

Barked: Tue Aug 16, '11 3:33pm PST 
I would not feed it to my dog. My dog is fed high quality food because I think it makes a difference in his health. Diet is the foundation of good health.

Purina is in the business of consumer products, not healthy pet food. They make Beneful. Beneful is marketed as a premium healthy dog food when in reality it is low of meat, full of artificial ingredients and even has sugar in it.

Purina dog foods are normally corn based, with by-products, and usually have artificial ingredients. They also use preservatives like menidone which is linked to cancer.

I think they make bad pet foods. Purina one beyond is not bad but way expensive. There are smaller companies out there producing better and healthier pet food. Their food is normally cheaper than the best purina product.
[notify]

Buddy

Giving my paw- can get me- anything!

Barked: Tue Aug 16, '11 3:43pm PST 
Purina, as well as other brands sold in the grocery store, are made with profit in mind. The things they put in their dog foods make me wish there was a *vomit* emoticon.

I have sworn off processed foods for my dogs all together, but brands like Taste of the Wild, Wellness and Orijen are brands that I would recommend for kibble feeders. The quality of food really does make a difference in overall health and if you can afford a better kibble, I'd say to upgrade. way to go
[notify]
Baily

Barked: Tue Aug 16, '11 3:58pm PST 
If Purina is realy that bad I say someone needs to make a band agents it or something or spread the word that its bad.smile
[notify]
Sanka- I'll Miss- You

The ground is my- newspaper.

Barked: Tue Aug 16, '11 4:56pm PST 
Some of the companies that make "bad" dog food aren't really all that bad. Some people can't afford the best or better foods. These cheap foods won't kill your dog. They're an option to help keep a dog in a loving home when times are tough. So, they have their place.

But the false advertising of it being "nutritious" and "Meaty" is where the baddies come in. Your food is comparable to a $1 burger from Wendy's. It'll keep you fed, but don't kid yourself on the nutrition. Sell it as it is. Inexpensive and convenient.
[notify]
Baily

Barked: Tue Aug 16, '11 5:10pm PST 
Fritz BOL is true and shanka are you talking about pedigreethinking
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Tue Aug 16, '11 5:19pm PST 
Pedigree and Purina are both bottom tier in my book. I wouldn't feed either one to my dog. They have pretty similar ingredients actually.

Did you read the So You Are Confused By Dog Food thread?
[notify]
Baily

Barked: Tue Aug 16, '11 5:38pm PST 
No I did not onyx and I will so its that bad huh? well our dogs seem to love the food.But I dont want them to get all fat and should I mix food healthy food for them in there.And if so what should I give themthinking. What if I dont have time for cooking for the dogs because I might and probly will have school in early the next day?

Edited by author Tue Aug 16, '11 5:39pm PST

[notify]
CoCo

Full of Beans!

Barked: Tue Aug 16, '11 5:38pm PST 
Coco has been on vet prescribed PURINA Food and has done very well on it. She has severe allergies and this has made her quality of life so much better. There is a tonne of info out there on dog food these days it can be so overwhelming! In the end you ave to pick what you can afford and what is the best for your pup!
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 8: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8