GO!

Azo Cranberry, is it safe?????

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Jenny- ☺

Rabbit is good,- Rabbit is- wise...

Barked: Sun Aug 7, '11 9:10pm PST 
Hi, friends.

Jenny has what we believe to be a bladder infection. We purchased an AZO test strip packet, and she was high positive for leukocytes, and negative for nitrites.

My husband purchased AZO Cranberry pills for her, as she won't drink cranberry juice, and gave her one on Friday night.
This is a link what it has in it.

AZO Cranberry ingredients

Does anyone see anything that is bad for her? She has been having mucusy stool since then, and still has frequency. Other than that, she seems FINE.

We are taking her and/or her urine to see the vet tomorrow. We've been out of town, and in the mountains. No internet access, to not even DOGSTER to ask! shock

She finished a 2 week series of antibiotics a week ago for a broken toe nail. Could that have caused this?

Thanks in advance for any and all help you can offer.
Chessie

Barked: Sun Aug 7, '11 10:43pm PST 
My dog is on a cranberry supplement daily since she had a UTI/bladder infection a year ago and had to be hospitalized for a week for 24/7 amakacin therapy. At 84 lbs., she receives 475mg twice a day of the human capsule and has had no side effects at all --and thankfully no more UTI or bladder infections. After checking out all the pricier options, her vet said that CVS brand was just fine.
[notify]
Jenny- ☺

Barked: Mon Aug 8, '11 9:16am PST 
Thank you!

I just wasn't sure if the rest of the ingredients were safe for dogs.

She only had one, but I worry....

frown

She seems better today, though. No more urgency, nor mucusy poo.thinking

Adam

Vaccine free- -Disease free- goes pawinpaw

Barked: Mon Aug 8, '11 10:59am PST 
There's castor oil in the ingredients, that could be causing stool issues??
[notify]
Jenny- ☺

Barked: Mon Aug 8, '11 11:05am PST 
Hmmm... You might be right, Adam.

She gets salmon oil every day, but not castor.thinking
Adam

Vaccine free- -Disease free- goes pawinpaw

Barked: Mon Aug 8, '11 11:09am PST 
I wonder why it's in a cranberry supplement, I never heard of castor oil for UTIs or bladder problems but maybe there's a reason. IDK....i'm pretty sure dog cranbrery supplements don't have castor oil in them. I guess if the problem continues then might want to change.
[notify]
Jenny- ☺

Barked: Mon Aug 8, '11 11:15am PST 
She only got the one pill... I saw all of the "extra" ingredients and said no more.

She seems fine, but we are going to get her urine tested anyway.smile
Jenny- ☺

Barked: Wed Aug 10, '11 7:04pm PST 
Her urine came back with red blood cells and some "junk" in it, but no bacteria and a pH of 5.0.

Dr. K said it looked like she had "damaged" her bladder by holding it too long or something like that.

We also took Mickey's urine in for a re-check since his bladder stone removal surgery. His pH is 8.0!shock It usually is at 5.0. But Dr. K said that can happen when they have just eaten. Other that that, there wasn't anything in there at all.

He is sending both samples to the lab for culturing anyway.