GO!

Vomiting after eating ice.

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Sanka- I'll Miss- You

The ground is my- newspaper.

Barked: Wed Jul 27, '11 8:34pm PST 
This has become consistent over the past few days.

For years and years and years, I have given Sanka ice as a summer treat to cool him off. He loves ice, and never had a problem with it. Earlier this week, I gave Sanka some ice. He happily ate it, but about 2 minutes after, he was throwing up. Just once or twice and then he's good.

I thought maybe the heat in combination with him eating the ice on an empty stomach perhaps didn't settle well. So, the next time I gave him ice, it was after he ate. He did just fine for a few days.

So, I do that, but it doesn't last long. He soon started throwing up, without fail, after eating the ice no matter if he had eaten before or not.

He loves ice, and it is a good way to keep him cool. I've been trying different amounts at different times with and without food...he just keeps throwing up. It's all related to the ice, and he only throws up once or twice a few minutes after eating the ice.

He's done it on the 100 degree days...when it's 60 degrees out at night....after a walk...you name it.

It's so sudden, and he's never had this before. Like I said, I've given him ice in all sorts of scenarios before and never had an issue. Even gave him ice all through this heat wave and he never had an issue until a few days ago.

I like ice to help keep him cool because the next thing I have is hosing him down...and he HATES that.

Just wondering if anyone else has this issue with their dog or if anyone has any idea why he has had such a sudden onset of all of this pukiness.

Mr. Pukey is just fine otherwise. Eats fine. Drinks plenty of water. Eager for walks. Rolls around in the grass like a puppy.shrug
[notify]
Titus

Cave canis- vigilo omnis

Barked: Wed Jul 27, '11 8:47pm PST 
Maybe the ice causes a cramp or spasm in his throat that causes him to gag...?
[notify]
Shadow- *CGC*CL2*CL3- *

Is it time for- agility yet?

Barked: Thu Jul 28, '11 4:09am PST 
My mom's dog does this after eating ice also. It just started when she was around 7(she's 10 now). We can't give her anything cold or she vomits. I'm not sure what causes it(maybe a good question for one of the vets I work with today).
[notify]

Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Fri Jul 29, '11 1:54am PST 
Same thing happened to me once too Sanka. It was a really hot day and we'd just come home from a 2hour hike/run. Jackson drank a lot of lukewarm water from his bowl (warmed in the sun) before drinking some more water from the fridge inside. Two minutes later his entire breakfast was on the carpet I had just steam cleaned the day before. -_-

I think the cold hitting the warm water in the stomach did it, personally, because he not really a puker. I often feel sick too if I drink ice water with warm soup, for example. That's what I think caused it that day. I don't give him ice cold water anymore and it's never happened again.
[notify]
Eve

Eve- Blaise Is The- Best

Barked: Fri Jul 29, '11 4:36am PST 
Heya,
It could just be a reaction that some dogs have!
[notify]
Tanuk CGC

Sherpa Tanuk of- Everest

Barked: Fri Jul 29, '11 9:06am PST 
A lot of dogs and cats have a tendency to vomit wet food if it's cold and straight from the fridge. Might be similar to that and he just can't tolerate it anymore.
[notify]
Snickers

Momma is the- center of the- universe...

Barked: Fri Jul 29, '11 9:24am PST 
Jackson Tan,
Not quite the same thing....you ate breakfast, ran for 2 hours, then tanked up on a ton of water. That's a recipe for dog vomit!

Under normal circumstances a dog eating ice, or drinking cold water isn't reason to vomit. By normal, I mean the dog hasn't had large amounts fo food, water, exercise or stress/nervousness.

It does sound quite odd and you should bring it up with your Vet and Google it too.
[notify]