GO!

Epsom salt poultice to draw out an infection.

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Mandi

Many hands make- the load- lighter.

Barked: Mon Jul 25, '11 10:50pm PST 
A friend asked me this, and I wanted to get some input from other people before I gave a definite response. Can an epsom salt poultice and/or a clay poultice be used to effectively draw out an infection from a cut? I know I have used it on plenty of horses with great results. Anyone tried this and found it useful?
[notify]
Sallie Mae

Sallie Mae

Barked: Tue Jul 26, '11 1:44am PST 
I use epsom salts poltices on Sallie Mae--in between the toes for interdigital pyrodermia. It's interesting that you ask this. The first time she stayed on antibiotics and steroids for 21 days. It healed only to start again three weeks later. She stayed on antibiotics and steroids for 2 monhs, which also healed it up well. Then when it started this time, I started epsom salts and have tried my best to keep her off any oral drugs, other than the antihistamines for the allergy aspect of this problem. It is two weeks out, and she is healing about at the same rate as she did on the antibiotics and prednisone. This is only my experiance, and only with this one condition, but I will not be rushing out to be putting her on more antibiotics unless things get a whole lot worse with her. Hope this helps.
[notify]
Sallie Mae

Sallie Mae

Barked: Tue Jul 26, '11 1:44am PST 
I use epsom salts poltices on Sallie Mae--in between the toes for interdigital pyrodermia. It's interesting that you ask this. The first time she stayed on antibiotics and steroids for 21 days. It healed only to start again three weeks later. She stayed on antibiotics and steroids for 2 monhs, which also healed it up well. Then when it started this time, I started epsom salts and have tried my best to keep her off any oral drugs, other than the antihistamines for the allergy aspect of this problem. It is two weeks out, and she is healing about at the same rate as she did on the antibiotics and prednisone. This is only my experiance, and only with this one condition, but I will not be rushing out to be putting her on more antibiotics unless things get a whole lot worse with her. Hope this helps.
[notify]

Sallie Mae

Sallie Mae

Barked: Tue Jul 26, '11 1:45am PST 
[notify]
Sallie Mae

Sallie Mae

Barked: Tue Jul 26, '11 1:46am PST 
[notify]
Sallie Mae

Sallie Mae

Barked: Tue Jul 26, '11 1:46am PST 
[notify]
Sallie Mae

Sallie Mae

Barked: Tue Jul 26, '11 1:47am PST 
[notify]
Sallie Mae

Sallie Mae

Barked: Tue Jul 26, '11 2:54am PST 
Dogster fleas--sorry about all the posts.
[notify]
Mr. Pibbs- *CGC*

Snuggle up!

Barked: Tue Jul 26, '11 3:53am PST 
I'm intrigued by this. How do you make and apply (time, etc.) the poultice?
Mr. Pibbs gets an occasionaly break out and I much prefer natural methods. Thanks in advance!
[notify]
Mandi

Many hands make- the load- lighter.

Barked: Tue Jul 26, '11 7:20am PST 
The epsom salt poultice is super easy. Just mix the salt with water in a ratio that gives you a paste, warm it, and apply. When I used it on horses, I'd just soak a bandage in the mixture, put that on, and then put another dry bandage over top. You can also apply it directly.
For the clay poultice, it can be bought at places like Tractor Supply Co and applied directly. Then I'd wrap that with a plastic wrap (saran wrap) and then with vet wrap (self-adhesive bandage). I've used those on the ponies and myself to draw out infections or reduce inflammation and they've worked well. Never used it on the pups, though.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2