GO!

What to expect/do after teeth cleaning (with anaesthesia)

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Hazel

Noise Police

Barked: Sun Jul 3, '11 9:25am PST 
Hazel is going to have her teeth cleaned on August 1. I know, I know - it's a full month away, no need to worry quite yet! I like to be prepared. smile

How long do dogs stay dopey or under the weather? Should I give her milk thistle to help her metabolize the anaesthesia afterward? Is it okay to take her for long walks as soon as she asks for it? Will she be on antibiotics?

Feel free to give any suggestions that I haven't thought to ask about, too.

Hopefully after we get rid of the tartar that's been there since we got her, she'll never need another cleaning again!
[notify]
Lizzie, CGC

Fence Jumper

Barked: Sun Jul 3, '11 9:44am PST 
Lizzie was dopey- seriously out of it for the day. When I picked her up at the clinic she just laid on the floor. When I got her home, I had to take her to her bed and help her lay down because she just stood there. She wasn't 100% on the second day, but much better.

As far as the long walks, I think you can let your dog determine what they're ready for. She shouldn't be in any pain or have any wounds/surgery sites to make sure she doesn't re-injure, so you don't have to worry about that.

Lizzie was on antibiotics, but she had a tooth pulled. I would assume that with a straight cleaning there shouldn't be antibiotics, but I don't know for sure.

Good luck!
[notify]
Hazel

Noise Police

Barked: Sun Jul 3, '11 7:16pm PST 
Thanks, Lizzie.
I'm hoping it's just a straight cleaning, but Hazel never lets me get a good look at her back teeth so I don't know if they're all healthy back there.
[notify]