GO!

What are the signs a dog has hemorrhoids?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Meeko

King of Food!

Barked: Tue Jun 28, '11 1:58pm PST 
This morning I noticed Meeko was bleeding a little around his rectal area, and it's also painful; when I rinsed him off back there, he cried. He's my Mom's dog and she's away until the fifth, she told me not to take him to the vet unless it gets really bad, but at this point I've got him shut in the bathroom because I don't want blood and fluids all over the carpets and furniture, and he's just miserable. I think I'm going to try and get him to the vet on Thursday (I'd go tomorrow but I work all day) but is there anything I can put on him in the meantime to make him more comfortable? frown
[notify]
Amazing- Grace

Live 2 Lounge

Barked: Tue Jun 28, '11 2:07pm PST 
Don't know about hemorrhoids. Anal glands get infected and bleed if they rupture. Any other symptoms besides the bleeding?
[notify]
Meeko

King of Food!

Barked: Tue Jun 28, '11 4:21pm PST 
She said he has diarrhea occasionally, and that she thinks he may be constipated or he held in a BM too long. With her being away, he's in the house while I'm at work and he'll (not that I'm complaining) refuse to go in here even if he has to. Fortunately the way her trip and my work schedule are set up this week, I'll only have to leave the house for a full day tomorrow, 5 hours Friday and then I'm off for the weekend and possibly the fourth. I've let him outside several times today and he seems in better spirits than this morning, so I'm gonna try to wash him up a little bit and see if there's any new drainage.
[notify]

♠- Mickey- ♠

One by one The- squirrels steal- my sanity

Barked: Tue Jun 28, '11 4:24pm PST 
Could he have a little stress induced colitis? How red is the blood? Is it seeping from the anus or only when he poops?
Nikki CGC- RLI- 1/09/01-08/1- 8/09

A Work In- Progress

Barked: Tue Jun 28, '11 8:07pm PST 
I was told by my vet dogs do not get hemorrhoids. Only humans do actually because we sit on our back sides all day. When Nikki was a pup she had a prolapsed rectum which we thought looked like a hemorrhoid when we brought her to the vet. So we specifically asked about them. smile

Probably an anal gland? Or yeah an extra hard BM could cause a little fissure or something like that. No Hemi's though! laugh out loud
[notify]
Meeko

King of Food!

Barked: Wed Jun 29, '11 8:02am PST 
It's just seeping, when I first noticed it he'd sat on my bed and I was like shock ok, which one of you did that? He had a little more after being outside this morning, I'm not sure what his BMs look like because I was busy feeding the other dozen critters we have. It's night a bright or dark red, just light when some clear-ish fluid. I've been running cool water on it twice a day and it seems to relieve him a little.
[notify]
Amazing- Grace

Live 2 Lounge

Barked: Wed Jun 29, '11 8:49am PST 
My vet reccomends no food for 24hrs for diarrhea, especially when there are signs of blood and mucus in the stool. Then start chix & rice. Adding a small amount of Kefir to the diet can help with diarrhea issues too.
[notify]