GO!

My dog ate a block of cheese

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Milton

Im just a little- guy

Barked: Fri Jun 24, '11 8:32pm PST 
Last night I was a drunk chef. I left out a block of cheese. I threw it away cause it could make me sick and got all warm. This morning I was going to take out the trash and forgot. I went snowboarding and came back for work. I was stinky so I took a shower. When I came out of the bathroom, I found my dog eating the cheese from the trash I forgot to take.

My dog is 15 pounds ate almost 8 oz of sharp chedder. This was about 6 hours ago. Anybody ever have a dog eat a large amount of cheese? What should I expect? I'am not going to feed him tonight. Tomorrow I think I am going to feed him rice and broth.

I walked him a few hours ago and he pooped. He's acting normal. I bet he will fart a lot soon.
[notify]
Fritz

Fritz, cats are- fun when they- run

Barked: Fri Jun 24, '11 8:55pm PST 
Getting warm and oily won't hurt sharp cheddar. It is one of the foods we use when period camping because it can be kept without refrigeration. I don't think it will make you badly ill, but maybe smelly,runny, and a little ill because you ate so much....or it may do nothing but make you make bad smells.

I hope you are feeling better soon.
[notify]
Milton

Im just a little- guy

Barked: Fri Jun 24, '11 8:57pm PST 
Dang I wish I knew that, cause I hated throwing away delicious cheese.
[notify]

Bobo

Just Clowning- Around

Barked: Fri Jun 24, '11 10:45pm PST 
My dog is the exact same weight, and he LOVES to eat cheese! I don't think that there would be a problem, since you said he wasn't acting any different, but I would just with your vet just to be sure! Hope this helped!
[notify]
Foxxy

Pocket Wolf

Barked: Sat Jun 25, '11 2:39am PST 
HAHA big laugh
lucky dog. fortunately, cheese is cultured so lactose intolerance isn't much of a problem. It is fat though, so just be prepared for the runs, sometimes dogs will throw it back up. Cheese is high fat, salty, and stinky so it's an irresistable item to practically all dogs. It's a processed fat, unlike chicken skin, so it should pass without pancreas trouble.

I'm sure he thanks you for the noms!
[notify]
Fritz

Fritz, cats are- fun when they- run

Barked: Sat Jun 25, '11 5:43am PST 
Milton, real cheese won't go bad and make you sick,(Processed cheese food, Velveeta etc probably will go bad) but it really isn't as good once it has gotten warm.

Unless we are period camping and living on cheese, bread, salt pork, salt beef and seasonal fruit, (Nothing you couldn't get in the actual time period) I would feed cheese that got warm to the dogs and birds and not keep it.

I hope your big snack didn't give you a tummy ache.
[notify]
Milton

Im just a little- guy

Barked: Sat Jun 25, '11 10:08am PST 
He is not acting sick or having the runs. He had a tiny hard poop that was orange. I think it is cheese related. Dang cheese eating dog.

I often give him cheese for snacks. He loves it.
[notify]