GO!

Are bell peppers poison to dogs

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Harley &- Rubi

me, me, me it's- all about me!!

Barked: Tue Jun 21, '11 11:35pm PST 
I went our side tonight and found that my dogs were eating bell peppers and tomatoes from my garden. I was very mad that they were helping themselves to the garden . But of course after I lectured them I started laughing. It was pretty funny that they both were laying in the garden chowing down. So my question is are bell peppers poisonous to dogs. shrug
[notify]
Chance

How You Doin'?

Barked: Wed Jun 22, '11 12:21am PST 
I believe bell peppers are fine.

The green parts of the tomato plants and any unripe, green tomatoes are not fine though. Ripe tomatoes are fine.
[notify]
Tigger

I'm- Tiggerriffffic!!- !!!

Barked: Wed Jun 22, '11 6:04am PST 
tomatoes were added to the list of toxic foods recently. i think it was on the humane society website i saw that. i was surprised because mine have eaten them before, but not a lot. i grow them in big pots but had to move them because the dogs will take them out of the pots.
[notify]

Tigger

I'm- Tiggerriffffic!!- !!!

Barked: Wed Jun 22, '11 6:10am PST 
below is what i found on a vet website. can't remember where i orginally saw it first.

With the healthful benefits of tomatoes, it would not be surprising for a dog owner to include this nutrient-rich fruit in the diet of the dog. But are tomatoes safe for the dog? Tomato is a member of the nightshade family and as such it is expected to have some toxic effects when consumed. Toxicity effects of tomatoes in humans are generally mild but toxic effects in dogs are more severe so as to result to the death of the dog.

To ward off the toxic effects of tomatoes, dog owners must keep the dog away from unripe fruits. Only the leaves, the stem and the unripe tomato fruit contain the tropane and atropine alkaloids. Dogs are poisoned by tomatine, the substance that is found in the tomato plants and unripe fruits. Excessive drooling, vomiting, diarrhea or constipation are sign of tomato toxicity. Dogs that have ingested green tomatoes will suffer from stomach upsets because tomatine is not efficiently absorbed by the intestines.

The toxin present in tomatoes directly affects the heart and the central nervous system. Accelerated or irregular heartbeats will be noticed in dogs that have ingested considerable amounts of leaves, vines and unripe tomato fruits. Weakened muscles, breathing difficulties and tremors are other signs of tomato toxicity. Dogs severely affected by the toxin can go into coma and can expire.

Tomatoes though are not bad for dogs. Dogs would get the healthful benefits humans get from this fruit. To prevent poisoning, owners have to make sure that the pet is given only ripe tomatoes as the amount of tomatine contained by the fruit is considerably reduced during the ripening process.
[notify]
Harley &- Rubi

Barked: Wed Jun 22, '11 9:23am PST 
Thank you all very much. The girls are fine this morning. I think I got to them in time. Not much was digested. My husband said we will go get taller fencing today. That should help. It is kind of funny I put a small fence up so that our desert tortoise wouldn't eat the garden. I don't know why I thought the dogs would stay out. laugh out loud Again thank you all for your help. Have a great day. big grin
[notify]
Titus

Cave canis- vigilo omnis

Barked: Wed Jun 22, '11 9:28am PST 
BOL! Between the dogs, rabbits, and birds, our garden is locked up like Fort Knox... you'd think we were growing gold. laugh out loud
[notify]
Hucky

Barked: Wed Jun 22, '11 9:29am PST 
What about tomato sauce? Occasionally I'll put some on their food for alittle extra flavor.
[notify]
S

In Loving Memory

Barked: Wed Jun 22, '11 10:33am PST 
I would imagine tomato sauce would be fine as long as it is not seasoned. Some sauces can have onion or garlic which in high doses can be toxic to dogs.
[notify]
Adam

Vaccine free- -Disease free- goes pawinpaw

Barked: Wed Jun 22, '11 10:46am PST 
Has anyone heard of nightshade vegetables? Tomatoes I have heard are part of that category and are supposed to be linked to things like arthritis and heart disease apparently??? But also they're high up in the glycemic index, so I don't like tomatoes for dogs, and hate that cheap tomatoe promace in dog food. If anyone wants to feed these as regular part of the diet, there's more sugar in peppers than fiber (maybe 1-5 grams, depend on size and color) but not as bad as tomatoes. Nutritionally, there's vitamins A, C, K and some B's and potassium. I used to homecook for the dogs and added in cooked and smooshed vegetables so I checked these things lol. The best vegetables imo are green beans and spaghetti squash. And this is making me hungry now and wishing I was in my kitchendog walk
[notify]
Harley &- Rubi

Barked: Wed Jun 22, '11 8:40pm PST 
Adam I love your picture. It is way too cute... Hope you were able to get to a kitchen to start cooking the green beans and spaghetti squash... cheer
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2