GO!

How long to wait after bathing to use frontline

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Madison

Don't disturb me- I'm on fly- patrol!

Barked: Thu Jun 9, '11 3:21pm PST 
So I have been waiting to put a topical tick killer on Madison until I was sure she absolutely needed some. The other day I found a few small ticks on Madder so I figured it was about that time. I bathed her about a week ago just because she needed one. A vet or their receptionist, a big difference but it was last summer so I dont remember, told my mom once not to put frontline on right after a bath because it needed the natural oils in a dogs move about the dog and work properly. Has anybody every heard of this? Is a week long enough to wait or should I wait longer? We had been using advantix last summer because it seemed to work better than frontline but I found 2 tubes of leftover frontline. I know i've heard of bugs becoming resistance to pesticides. In high school we were supposed to alternate wormers on the livestock we showed so the worms wouldnt become resistance to it. Would the same principle apply to advantix and frontline plus? We have 2 dogs here so after I put it on the dogs we'd need to get more anyway. Should I try alternating to get a better affect? Nothing seems to work 100% against those little devils so i'm up for any sugestions. Maybe a topical and garlic? I'm just throwing some ideas out there.
[notify]
Murphy

Smurph Man

Barked: Thu Jun 9, '11 3:52pm PST 
Frontline actually says its water proof but our vet has always told us to wait 2 days after bathing and don't bath until 2 days after putting it onshrugthinking
[notify]
Glacier

Slick as Ice

Barked: Fri Jun 10, '11 7:05am PST 
It's good to wait 48 hours, that's what we generally tell our clients. Frontline has totally stopped working for us, so I'm getting Advantix next time around. I've found fleas and ticks on the boys during every brushing and one poor guest of ours even had a "drunk" tick crawling up his leg. Not acceptable.
[notify]

JJ

Wanna play- fetch...huh...hu- h....huh?????

Barked: Fri Jun 10, '11 7:27am PST 
Hi Madison, I actually work for the manufacturer of FRONTLINE and would like to help answer your great questions. We recommend that after applying FRONTLINE or FRONTLINE PLUS; keep the dog from getting wet until the application area appears dry. If you are going to apply the FRONTLINE after a bath, make sure the pet is completely dry before application.
[notify]
JJ

Barked: Fri Jun 10, '11 7:28am PST 
Hi Glacier. I would like to learn more about this issues you are seeing with FRONTLINE brand products. Would you mind explaining what you are experiencing?
[notify]
Macy

Back Off! I- really don't- like strangers!

Barked: Sat Jun 11, '11 4:09pm PST 
@JJ Interesting. My vet says 3 days before or after bathing. I knew I couldn't find anything about that on the website or in the literature!
[notify]
Moira

Is that for me??

Barked: Sat Jun 11, '11 8:29pm PST 
My vet says three days either way, before or after. Lily will remain on Frontline Plus, but we are trying Vectra D for Moira.
[notify]
JJ

Barked: Wed Jun 15, '11 11:33am PST 
What circumstances have brought you to the decision to try Vectra D on Moira?
[notify]
Leah, CGC

All the Beauty- with none of the- Brains

Barked: Wed Jun 15, '11 7:24pm PST 
Frontline IS water proof once it is stored in the sebaceous glands because it is mixed with bodies oils that are constantly replenishing the skin's surface - IE even if the body gets wet the new oil will have more frontline in it.

HOWEVER Frontline requires a layer of natural oil to be present on the skin in order to spread adequetly to all of the sebaceous glands covering the skins surface. Bathing strips the body surface of most (if not all) of its natural oil. It takes about 36-48 hours for the frontline to reach all areas of the body surface and infiltrate the sebaceous glands AND it takes the same amount of time for the natural oils to replenish themselves once stripped due to bathing/shampoo-ing. This is why it is essential to keep a 48 hour window free from bathing before AND after applying frontline.
[notify]
JJ

Barked: Thu Jun 16, '11 7:29am PST 
@Madison. Hopefully this has helped answer your question, but if not www.frontline.com is a great resource for product information. The website also offers a Buy 6 doses of FRONTLINE brand products and receive 1 dose FREE coupon that can be redeemed at your vet. happy dance
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2