GO!

Dog has frequent bowel movements

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Tonka

Barked: Sun Jun 5, '11 9:32am PST 
My 10 month-old puppy has had ongoing numerous bowel movements every day. It is not runny, don't see blood. He is fed Taste of the Wild lamb formula, and just a few treats or a Kong in the middle of the day. He has been on a digestive enzyme for a week or so now.
He typically poops 3 times in the morning within two hours after eating. I bring him to the dog park in early afternoon, when he poops at least twice during the hour he's there. In the afternoon/evening, he will usually poop at least one more time. So that's about 6 poops a day. Is this a bit excessive? I'm afraid most of what he eats just goes right through him. He's not overly thin, so something must be sticking.
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Sun Jun 5, '11 5:41pm PST 
You can try cutting back on the meals a bit but it could be his system just thinks those tiny snacks are meals. Max is a meal=poop kind of dog and if a snack is over whatever the size his system thinks is a meal he will poop. I think his GIT thinks an ounce of wet food is a meal, that would be about 1/2 an ounce of dry treats and is about 10% of his total daily intake. Sassy was the other way around. Even on 4 meals a day, 1 poop a day.

Try cutting back on the total feed if poop is soft and possibly cut back on the size/number of the treats but otherwise you just might be real lucky and have a Max style pooper rather than a Sassy style pooper.

Max is now raw fed and gets one meal a day. If the treats are below that 1 ounce amount he will poop once a day. It isn't that it matters so much as it is a little peculiar.
[notify]
Abner

Basset Hound- with a Flatty- suit on

Barked: Sun Jun 5, '11 10:16pm PST 
As long as your dog's poops aren't soft and mushy, I wouldn't worry too much. You could try messing around with the feeding schedule/amount of food, but if everything is running correctly you might not even need to do that. I know people are -supposed- to poop several times a day, but most don't. I'd think it would be the same for dogs? Maybe your dog is just wonderful at digesting.
[notify]

(retired)min- ister misty

be calm, dont- worry!

Barked: Mon Jun 6, '11 1:08am PST 
i don't think it's a problemshrug
young dogs poop more and as long as the poop looks normal,the dog is looking good and is active..
you got a good pup.
so try not to worry
and if you can't get the worried feeling of you,call your vetway to go

Edited by author Mon Jun 6, '11 1:08am PST

[notify]
Tonka

Barked: Mon Jun 6, '11 4:11am PST 
I think part of the issue is the same with his urinating-he tends to not empty out all at once. He might pee or poop, walk for a few minutes, and go some more. Then he'll ask to go out 30 minutes later and go some more. Not sure if this is just a habit he has picked up, or if he just doesn't want to take the time to empty himself out.
[notify]
Billy

Born to- Arrrrroooooooo!

Barked: Mon Jun 6, '11 5:23am PST 
I was the same way...I pooped a few times a day...I get two meals...one in the morning, one in the afternoon with a few treats between. Mom thinks I don't finish all my business. They got me when I was 1 and i'm almost 2...now I only poop 2 or 3 times a day.

She wondered if it was the dog food too...I was on Purina One when I came to my new home and they put me on Taste of the Wild...still lots of poop...now I"m on Before Grain (Merrick) and I'm now I'm going less
[notify]
Tonka

Barked: Mon Jun 6, '11 6:18am PST 
Ok, I'm not familiar with Merrick foods. I know we've tried about 5 different brands now (Wellness, Natural Choice, Canidae, etc), and so far either they give him diarrhea or he is going several times a day. In fact, as of 9:15 this morning he has had 3 bowel movements.
He is 43 lbs, and fed 1 1/2 cups twice a day, with a couple treats or a Kong in the middle of the day.
[notify]
Billy

Born to- Arrrrroooooooo!

Barked: Mon Jun 6, '11 10:13am PST 
Try a grain free diet...you are using good quality food so maybe try "grain free"?

Merrick makes a grain free food--- "Before Grain"...Buffalo and Chicken. I eat the buffalo. Don't know if I just got lucky, but it seems to be working for me.

Try not to change the food up too much either...a change in diet can cause it...and change it over slowly. You may already know that, but just in case...slowly transition over a period of one week to the new food. Good luck with the pooping! wink
[notify]
Tonka

Barked: Mon Jun 6, '11 10:46am PST 
He has been on grain-free Taste of the Wild for a month or so now, seems to be worse.
[notify]
Billy

Born to- Arrrrroooooooo!

Barked: Mon Jun 6, '11 12:39pm PST 
yeah billy had grain free taste of the wild and it seemed to be bad too...weird. well it didn't change, I'll say that...5 or 6 poops a day at least....

That's when I tried Merrick Before Grain Buffalo and noticed a difference way to go
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2