GO!

Horrible Breath on Senior Dog?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Maya - In Loving- Memory

BSL: Educate,- don't- discriminate.

Barked: Fri May 20, '11 10:50pm PST 
Is that normal for their breath to get worse and worse? You can be five feet from her and it smells and it's not bad unless you're right next to her, but it's bad enough that I don't want to be sitting within close proximity of her anymore.

Should I get her in for a dental check up? It's gross and I'm soooo tired of it stinking. It's only getting worse and NOTHING I've tried has helped.
[notify]
Fenrir

Veni Vidi Nom

Barked: Fri May 20, '11 10:58pm PST 
I would definitely have her teeth looked at. At that age, there's a big possibility her teeth are the problem.
[notify]
Radley

Im a lean, mean,- cuddling machine

Barked: Sat May 21, '11 7:25am PST 
Horrible breath probably equals horrible teeth, and some rotten teeth.
[notify]

Rexy

I dig in mud- puddles!

Barked: Sat May 21, '11 8:08am PST 
Horrible breath can also be a symptom of kidney issues. Gingivitis, decaying teeth, periodontal disease are other possibilities.

Sounds like it's time for another vet check.

Is she still eating normally? Are her gums red and sore looking?
[notify]
Radley

Im a lean, mean,- cuddling machine

Barked: Sat May 21, '11 11:13am PST 
Normally if kidney issues have progressed enough to cause bad breath you would be seeing lack of appetite, vomiting, lethargy, things like that. And dogs with kidney issues have a very particular smell to the breath, it's hard to describe.

Edited by author Sat May 21, '11 11:14am PST

[notify]
Glacier

Slick as Ice

Barked: Sat May 21, '11 2:18pm PST 
I'm voting for her teeth being bad. Will she allow you to look at them yourself? You'll be able to tell if they're bad, there will be brown deposits on them. At her age I'd shy away from having a professional dental cleaning though. You can try the Petzlife stuff, which is what we use. It comes in a gel you can brush her teeth with, or if she doesn't like that it also comes in a spray.

Tropiclean is sold at Petco and they make a similar product but it's much cheaper. I've been using it on Glacier (whose teeth were eww) and it's helped a ton. I put the liquid stuff in his water and brush his teeth a few times a week. Huge difference! They also sell chews that will clean her teeth if she just totally won't let you near her mouth.
[notify]
Maya - In Loving- Memory

BSL: Educate,- don't- discriminate.

Barked: Sat May 21, '11 7:30pm PST 
Thanks for all the info guys. She is still eating normally, full meals, and her gums look great, as they always have, healthy, pink, etc. Her teeth are brownish on the outside but not much, like tartar build up or something? And on the inside, a few of her bottom front teeth look like they might have black spots on them... decay? She wouldn't let me open long enough to get a really good look though. I'll have to try again a bit later and see if I can get a better look.

Thanks for the info Tanuk! I've never brushed either of my dogs teeth, I always used bones, etc to clean their teeth. May be time to start though..
[notify]
Izze

My ACD is- tougher then- your [breed]

Barked: Sat May 21, '11 7:50pm PST 
My Izze who is almost 9 yrs old & a while back she started having bad breath, she ended up having to have a tooth pulled that was bad. Once that was done, her breath doesn't smell anymore. So I also give a vote to her teeth. But you will only know with a visit to the vet, which I am not so I can't say for sure nor will I come our & say for sure that its teeth causing it.
[notify]
Dunkin

Barked: Sun May 22, '11 4:59pm PST 
I have also had to have dogs teeth pulled because of bad teeth. he is a rescue and has had troule since I got him. He has never been fond of having them brushed.
[notify]
Glacier

Slick as Ice

Barked: Mon May 23, '11 6:33am PST 
I'll admit, I got these Busy Bone-esqe chews at Walmart that actually work. I think they're called Denta Bones or some such, but not the Pedigree ones. They're a cream color on the outside and green on the inside and the outside is a pretty thick hard layer, so takes a good while to chew through. They're $4 for a giant one or a two pack of mediums. The ingredients weren't too bad, nothing really scary in it. I've been giving him one a week and it combined with the Tropiclean stuff has really made a huge difference, no more nasty breath and the brown on his teeth is less and less. Might be an easy option for Maya.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2