GO!

small dog ingested a small deflated balloon

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Bindi

nippysilky

Barked: Mon May 16, '11 6:23pm PST 
Yesterday, 5/15 my silky terrier ingested a red small deflated balloon. She has a horrible habit of chewing anything that is not nailed down. I noticed a sm red balloon on the floor and before we knew it she had swallowed it. She is having bowel movements w/o any sign of the balloon, and appears to be fine. Should I be overly concerned?
[notify]
Radley

Im a lean, mean,- cuddling machine

Barked: Mon May 16, '11 8:54pm PST 
Just watch her for the next few days, the balloon should pass without a problem. However look for signs of am obstruction like vomiting, lethargy, not eating or drinking. If she starts having any of those symptoms I would take her to the vet, but if not just watch her poo and I'm sure the balloon will show up soon!
[notify]
Bindi

nippysilky

Barked: Sun May 29, '11 7:33am PST 
So far no balloon,at least that is what my husband says, when I have taken her out her poo shows no sign of balloon, so it has been a week now,she did have some diarreha last night, putting some canned pumpkin in her food for fiber,she is eating and drinking, I just hope it is not lodged somewhere.
[notify]

Leah, CGC

All the Beauty- with none of the- Brains

Barked: Sun May 29, '11 9:26am PST 
I think it is more likely to be digested or not swallowed initially - did you actually see the dog swallow the balloon?? IE - see it go down the throat?

If it were lodged and causing an obstruction you would NOT see any stool and everything AND I MEAN EVERYTHING that went in the mouth would come back out of the mouth - EVERY DRINK OF WATER - EVERY MOUTHFUL OF FOOD - it doesn't sound like this is what is happening so I would suggest that you can forget about the balloon until you see above symptomology....

If you see above going on then seek medical attention ASAP - small dogs are at very high risk for dehydration from even as little as 1 or 2 hours of vomiting....
[notify]
Bindi

nippysilky

Barked: Fri Jun 3, '11 7:02am PST 
Thank you Leah.... still no balloon, but she is eating, drinking.Did I observe her swallowing balloon,well not actually,we had a folding chair by my computer chair, she has a terrible habit of finding things for treats,grandson said she had something in her mouth, she comes to me,under the folded chair (card table chair) she must have had it in her mouth as I see it under the chair he gets the treat I try to get the what appeared to be the red balloon, and she gobbles it up.My grandsons had just bought a water pump and balloons that day, and I know I saw the red balloon,but it still had not surfaced, but I will try and stop worrying about it, since she is eating and drinking with no problem.
[notify]
Bindi

nippysilky

Barked: Fri Jun 3, '11 8:29am PST 
also never saw her spit it out, I have looked under the bed where she hides sometime, no balloon.for my peace of mind I should probably take her for a Xray..... she is so bad!!!
[notify]
Radley

Im a lean, mean,- cuddling machine

Barked: Fri Jun 3, '11 6:51pm PST 
At this Point it's been 3 weeks, no need for an x ray. Your pooch will be fine. That balloon is long gone by now. I wouldn't lose ny sleep or even worry about it at all anymore. After around 3 days she was in the clear.
[notify]
Milton

Im just a little- guy

Barked: Fri Jun 3, '11 7:07pm PST 
My dog recently ate something similar but much more embarrassing and it was disgusting. He is 15 pounds. This thing passed through. I saw it in his poop. It took about 2 days. He seemed a little under the weather for about a day after the event. This gross thing was much longer than a balloon.

My dog did not have diarrhea.
[notify]
Milton

Im just a little- guy

Barked: Fri Jun 3, '11 7:08pm PST 
nom nom nom

eating extra posts

Edited by author Fri Jun 3, '11 7:09pm PST

[notify]
Milton

Im just a little- guy

Barked: Fri Jun 3, '11 7:08pm PST