GO!

Do they need this shot?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  
Hucky and- Ringo

Barked: Fri Apr 29, '11 10:08am PST 
I just got reminder cards in the mail that both boys are due for the following:

DHPP annual
Lepto vac. annual
HW/Lyme/AP/EC test

What is the DHPP?
And what does AP/EC mean?

They have both had these shots last year.
[notify]
Sarah,- CW-SR,- CW-G1, CGC

Million Dollar- Mutt

Barked: Fri Apr 29, '11 10:54am PST 
What is the DHPP?
And what does AP/EC mean?

They have both had these shots last year.

DHPP is the Distemper/Parvo combo vaccine. H is Hepatitis and I believe the other P stands for Parainfluenza.

AP is Anaplasmosis, EC is Ehrlichiosis (can't spell!) two tickborne diseases. It looks like your vet runs a SNAP test (bloodwork) to check for heartworms, lyme, and the two mentioned.
Since they just had the shots last year, I wouldn't get DHPP. Lepto depends on where you live and your lifestyle. Rabies depends on where you live and your laws too. I would definitely have the bloodwork done.
[notify]
Mazzy

S-S-S-SQUIRREEEL- LLL!!!!

Barked: Fri Apr 29, '11 3:09pm PST 
I am a believer in vaccinating your pet. The only reason certain diseases aren't prevalent anymore is BECAUSE everyone gets their pets properly vaccinated. Some vaccines come in one-year AND three-year varieties. If you got a reminder card to get a few shots for the pups, then that's because the vet only gave one-year vaccines for those things (or they only come in one-year varieties) and it's time for your dog to get re-vaccinated. I have to disagree with the first poster that you should just skip it. Would you really rather treat your pups for Distemper instead of just getting the shot?? What's the saying? "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure."

If you don't take your dogs in the woods then the Lyme isn't really needed, but Distemper and Parvo I personally wouldn't mess around with. And as for Rabies, it's likely the law no matter where you live - for good reason. One rabies shot for the dog prevents the chance of several for you as well as death for the animal should it happen upon a raccoon or even an infected squirrel.
[notify]

Hucky and- Ringo

Barked: Fri Apr 29, '11 4:49pm PST 
By law in NY, they do need their and they are both up to date. They both also was tested positive for lymes last July and both treated with meds for 1 month
[notify]
Mazzy

Barked: Fri Apr 29, '11 7:58pm PST 
Lyme is becoming an issue in my area as well. Last year was the first year Mazzy had to get that vaccine and so far, the vet is only 'strongly recommending' it for people who walk their dogs in the woods but she said that it's a growing concern so I'd bet it's going to be a standard before long.

Since your pup(s) already got it once, I'd say that one is a 'needed' vaccine as well. With regard to the others, I'm just of the mind that it's much easier to give one little shot and have peace of mind than to skip out on the vaccinations and then possibly be paying significantly more to treat an illness that could have been easily prevented and could ultimately prove fatal to your pup.
[notify]
Adam

Vaccine free- -Disease free- goes pawinpaw

Barked: Fri Apr 29, '11 8:02pm PST 
Mazzy parvo and distemper vaccines (and rabies) last 7 years or more. So yes vaccines are needed sometimes, but not every year.

Lyme vaccine is not very effective, has side effects like SEIZURES and early onset arthritis, and doesn't cover any other Tick diseases so you need to find a way to keep off ticks or kill ticks anyway because the deer tick spread more than lyme.

Lepto is usually not common in NY/NJ possibly season will start June, not really an issue though.

Oh and something I find ironic, lyme and lepto vaxes are banned for use in humans, they had one marketing for humans but took it off because of how dangerous the side effects are and how ineffective the vaccines are. Apparently, it's good enough for dogs though.

Edited by author Fri Apr 29, '11 8:09pm PST

[notify]
Mazzy

Barked: Sat Apr 30, '11 4:30pm PST 
@Adam, I just looked up the claims that these vaccines last longer and while everyone seems to say "we have no idea how long they really last" (and presume they last longer), there is no real agreement in just how long they DO last.

You can have your dog titer tested to see if they still have the antibodies and therefore - maybe - don't need the shot but I just also read that immunity to these diseases is two-fold: humoral & cell-mediated, and titer testing only tests for the first.

One immunity without the other then, would not be fully protected, or even "protected" at all for all we actually know about it. So, my opinion stands - if you want to gamble with your dog's life that's certainly within your authority over that animal to do so, but I won't do it with Mazzy's and, especially based on what I've just read that amounts to "~shrug~ we dunno", I do not believe it's a good idea to skip regularly scheduled vaccines with only such flimsy hear-say type "evidence" to the contrary to base that decision on.
[notify]
Adam

Vaccine free- -Disease free- goes pawinpaw

Barked: Sat Apr 30, '11 5:11pm PST 
I think you should look up Dr. Jean Dodds' research (there are NO shrugs about it). I'm not sure who you are quoting. I feel, and medical evidence backs up, that it's a gamble with my dogs' lives *to* overvaccinate. If titers are on the low side, it might be safe to say dogs aren't immune. I've seen the damage caused by vaccines, fortunately my dogs aren't at any risk for the infectious diseases distemper, rabies or parvo.

ETA: Also you might want to read literature by Catherine O'Dricoll. My dogs are not going to be played with by pharm companies.

Edited by author Sat Apr 30, '11 5:13pm PST

[notify]
Hucky and- Ringo

Barked: Sat Apr 30, '11 5:23pm PST 
Me and my husband just talked about it and we will get the dogs any shots that they are due for. I never had a problem in the past and because both the boys had lymes last year, I will get them the shot. continue offering advice if you'd like but my mind is made up
[notify]
Samson

Work? What's- that?

Barked: Sat Apr 30, '11 6:02pm PST 
Bacterial vaccines like Lyme, Lepto, bordatella, etc, only last a few months - about 6-8. If you feel you need both, get Lepto in early spring when there's lots of standing water around. Lyme just depends on your tick season. Around where I live it is worst around late summer/early fall, although we don't have Lyme disease around here. I would be more comfortable in any case using a tick repellent unless I lived somewhere like Boston or somewhere else on the east coast where Lyme disease is highly prevalent.

~

Comparing a vaccine manufactured in an entirely different manner by an entirely different company for an entirely different species is a mistake. Yes, Lyme was taken off the market for humans. That doesn't necessarily mean anything for dogs one way or the other.

~

Your core viral vaccines - hepatitis, distemper, parvo, adeno, etc, all those, have a proven efficacy of at least seven years bare minimum. It's likely they provide lifetime protection once they have been given when the pup's immune system has taken over (and the mother's milk is no longer doing that for him/her).

Vets want you to get them more often than that - worse case scenario, yearly, but usually once every three years now - because often, especially past middle age, the dog is LESS healthy because most people simply won't bring the dog in for checkups unless they think they HAVE to have those vaccines.

There are probably an unfortunate few who have yearly vaccine policies because they make money off of them. Perhaps a few who are too set in their ways to change.

You can't make a dog "more immune" by giving more vaccines. He's either immune, or he is not, there's no gray area. By giving him these vaccines yearly - the viral ones, mind you - you're just going to stress his immune system and carry more risk of triggering an autoimmune response.

Edited by author Sat Apr 30, '11 6:05pm PST

[notify]
  (Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4