GO!

Shelf life of vaccines

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Booth

Fortius quo- fidelius

Barked: Mon Apr 11, '11 10:31pm PST 
My last thread was closed for whatever reason.

I'm planning to vaccine Booth and my future pup for parvo, distemper, and rabies. No vets in my area have vaccines with parvo and distemper that don't have a bunch of other things mixed in that I don't need. Yes, I checked my area and I don't need Corona, Leptospirosis, Lyme, Boretella, or Giardia.

So I decided it would be easier to just buy the vaccines myself. The best I could find was a 25 pack of parvo/distemper combo for about $80. My future pup is due May 26th and will come to me at 8 weeks with one vaccination done. If I could save the extra parvo/distemper vaccines in the fridge and use them for that pup's remaining two vaccinations, I'd be willing to go for that.

Obviously I don't want to use them if there's any chance they won't be good anymore. What's the shelf life on a modified-live vaccine kept at the correct temperature? I tried googling it but I'm not sure what it means to reconstitute a vaccine.
[notify]
Bella and- Daisy CGC

I'm a Meanie

Barked: Mon Apr 11, '11 10:35pm PST 
Honestly, if you don't know about reconstituting vaccines, then I worry you don't know how to give them properly since reconstitution in a proper ratio is something you will have to do in order to give it.

Perhaps you can call around to vaccine clinics and see if they have the vaccines you desire? Have you checked the AAHA website? many times their vets will have single ingredient vaccines.
[notify]
Booth

Fortius quo- fidelius

Barked: Mon Apr 11, '11 10:36pm PST 
I was planning to buy them and have my vet administer them.

I can try vaccine clinics but I would think that since the whole point of a vaccine clinic is to make the vaccinations as cheap as possible, they would only have 5 in 1 and 7 in 1s.

Edited by author Mon Apr 11, '11 10:39pm PST

[notify]

Adam

Vaccine free- -Disease free- goes pawinpaw

Barked: Mon Apr 11, '11 10:43pm PST 
I tried contacting Dr. Dodds a couple days ago but I haven't gotten an answer yet.

Here's an article about nosodes (killed)
http://www.wellpet.org/vaccines/nosodes.htm
^^my suggestion
[notify]
Bella and- Daisy CGC

I'm a Meanie

Barked: Mon Apr 11, '11 10:43pm PST 
A modified live vaccine will be have to be reconstituted in order to administer it (or the ones you are ordering).

If it is a multi dose vial, then all the doses are reconstituted at once, then they expire all together.

A single dose vial is just that-a single dose so it would be administered then the vial thrown away. So it would be stored until the expiration on the vials.

I only know human vaccines-most expire in less than an hour, a couple up to eight hours once reconstituted.

Each vaccine is different. you have to read the manufacturer info. I'd advise talking to your vet since these inserts are written for professionals, not the pet owner in mind.

Edited by author Mon Apr 11, '11 10:46pm PST

[notify]
Hermione

Leader,Leader,Le- ader

Barked: Tue Apr 12, '11 10:07am PST 
Try Drs. Foster and Smith they sell singles.
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/
[notify]
Kitsune

Divide and- cuddle!!

Barked: Tue Apr 12, '11 11:21am PST 
Did you ask your vet if they can order the vaccines you want? That's what I did last time I got Kit vaccinated - I didn't want the combo vaccines so I asked my vet if they could order different vaccines (Just distemper and just parvo, no combo vacs).

They ordered them for me so I didn't have to deal with storing them or anything like that. It was a little bit more expensive than normal since they had to special order the vaccinations we decided on, but IMO it was worth it extra money.
[notify]
Zoey, Shellie & Griffin

Natural & Loving- it!

Barked: Wed Apr 13, '11 12:44pm PST 
Most Vaccinations have an expiration date on them. Depending on the vaccine it's usually only a year or two.
[notify]
Booth

Fortius quo- fidelius

Barked: Wed Apr 13, '11 1:17pm PST 
Thanks Zoey, Ziva & Shellie. That's what I wanted to know. Even just a year would be more than long enough. The pup will be born in less than two months, I get him two months later, and he gets his shots in the following weeks.

Edited by author Wed Apr 13, '11 1:18pm PST

[notify]
Leah, CGC

All the Beauty- with none of the- Brains

Barked: Thu Apr 14, '11 1:42am PST 
Call the company who makes the vaccine.

A vaccine is not the only reason puppies go to the vet. Full physical exams by a licensed veterinarian are needed to check for proper development and make sure the patient is well enough to receive the vaccine at that time.

If you are planning to have the vet administer these vaccines, would they be able to receive shipment and store in their proper storage areas? Do they have a monitored and maintained vaccine refrigerator or do they not carry any vaccines?

If you plan on keeping them in a refrigerator on private property remember that when ever possible they should be stored alone or at least in a less frequently used refrigerator for a couple reasons. 1-if the door stays closed there is less chance of fluctuations in temperature which can result in vaccine failure. 2-They should not be stored near food eaten by you or any other animals as they are a virus or bacteria of some form. OSHA regulations require separate vaccine refrigerators in animal hospitals to keep them at the proper temp and prevent contamination.

Please also purchase at least two thermometers to monitor the temperature in the front/door and the rear of the refrigerator to make sure your temperature gradient is ideal.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2