GO!

How long can kennel cough last???

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Harley

Little Nugget

Barked: Mon Apr 11, '11 6:20am PST 
Harley contracted kennel cough back in January when he was at dog camp. He was treated with antibiotics and the coughing went away for a while. He had some minor coughing after his first dose of meds but I hated having him on antibiotics so I wanted to see if he could get better naturally and he did.

Now, he will get a coughing fit here and there. It is definitely not as severe as it was when he first got sick but it still has me concerned. Is this typical? Are antibiotics the only way to go?
[notify]
Halo

Howling good- times to be had- with me.

Barked: Mon Apr 11, '11 6:24am PST 
Yes he needs medication, it's the same a whooping cough for humans.
[notify]
Quincy- FM TFE-II- TDIAOV CGC

I have just met- you and I LOVE- you!

Barked: Mon Apr 11, '11 7:47am PST 
Yeah, I always have given antibiotics until a week or so past symptoms, which for mine always seemed to be 2 weeks. Quincy got it at a flyball tournament in the summer and it was bad, he went from no symptoms to hacking a lung in a day. We started antibiotics immediately, and my vet also advised I give him Robitussin twice a day to help with the cough, thank goodness with that we were able to sleep. In between the Robitussin I gave raw honey to help coat the throat, seemed to help some. Even still, his symptoms were pretty much gone in a week, and we treated through the second week. Haven't had a problem since then.
[notify]

Adam

Vaccine free- -Disease free- goes pawinpaw

Barked: Mon Apr 11, '11 10:20am PST 
I don't like antibiotics for minor things like a cold what kennel cough usually is instead I support the body holistically. This could also be allergies? Do you go to dog Parks or around other dogs? I'm posting from cell so have no resources but I'd hold offore antibiotics yet. Homeopath can help atop dogs from getting KC so much.
[notify]
Harley

Little Nugget

Barked: Mon Apr 11, '11 10:39am PST 
Hi Adam,

I haven't taken him to the dog park in a while but he has come in contact with other dogs on our daily walks. Not sure if it's allergies.

I heard that KC can go away on its own and if he is in no immediate danger than I would rather hold off on the antibiotics. He doesn't cough that much and if it got more sever than I would consider putting him on meds again.

I'm wondering if it will ever go away on it's own...other than honey (which I give him), do you have any holistic recommendations?

Thanks!
[notify]
Dennis- FDCH-S,- TFIII

I love agility- and flyball!

Barked: Mon Apr 11, '11 11:30am PST 
My recommendation is to decide how you're going to treat, then stick with your plan. If you start and stop antibiotics like you did, you create a more resistant infection. It is possible for kennel cough to be accompanied by bacterial infection. If you really don't want to use antibiotics, don't start and stop them, just don't use them. If it were my dog, I'd be concerned about why it was coughing and I'd bring it to the vet, be it a holistic vet or a traditional vet, but I wouldn't self-treat when I wasn't sure what I was treating. Most dogs don't show allergies through coughing. Most dogs show inhalant allergies through itchy feet and ear infections. Which isn't to say that your dog can't be the exception, but I'd want a doctor's opinion, perhaps even a second opinion if I weren't comfortable with the first one.

Edited by author Mon Apr 11, '11 11:33am PST

[notify]
Harley

Little Nugget

Barked: Mon Apr 11, '11 11:54am PST 
Thanks for your recommendation Dennis...but I want to be clear, I didn't start and stop his medication. I gave him the full dose the vet prescribed and once it was finished, his coughing went away. After a while, when I noticed the coughing came back, I didn't want him to go on antibiotics again so I wanted to see if it would go away naturally.

I just don't want you to think that I stopped midway through his meds because that's not the case.
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Mon Apr 11, '11 12:53pm PST 
My Frenchie was treated for KC with antibiotics twice, and the cough still came back a third time so I returned to the vet and more testing was done. Turned out she was in the beginnings of congestive heart failure and by catching it early she was able to be treated with heart meds and diuretics and live an extra few years.
Kennel cough does not normally go away and then return. I would most definitely look further with chest xrays and/or blood work if it were my dog.
[notify]
Dennis- FDCH-S,- TFIII

I love agility- and flyball!

Barked: Mon Apr 11, '11 12:58pm PST 
@Harley- Thanks for clearing up the confusion. I thought you meant a single dose, when you said after his "first dose". I didn't realize you actually meant after one course of antibiotics. It is odd that Harley would still have some coughing after this length of time has passed, so you probably want to get that checked out.

Edited by author Mon Apr 11, '11 12:59pm PST

[notify]
Cooper

st. francis of- asses

Barked: Mon Apr 11, '11 1:13pm PST 
Harley, my dal came to me from the rescue with a bad case of kennel cough. Unless there is an infection, they normally just say watch them like you would a child with a common cold. The problem comes if it develops into a severe infection like Cooper's did. When he would sneeze, he would spray droplets of a red mucus. Because his had become severely infected, he developed a sinus infection along with the cough. He was on meds for several weeks, the blood in the mucus was gone but still had a slight cough. It took about 2 months to totally go away. So if you can check his temp you will have a better idea if there is an infection and whether antibiotics should be continued.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2