GO!

Constipated after surgery..

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Turner - Gone Too- Soon

Hi I'm Turner- Wanna Smell My- Butt?

Barked: Sat Apr 9, '11 4:46am PST 
Turner had MAJOR surgery 4 days ago. He's on some pretty strong meds and I think one of them may be making him constipated. What can I safely give him?

Leah, are you out there? thinking
[notify]
Bam-Bam, CGC

Lil' Rubble

Barked: Sat Apr 9, '11 7:27am PST 
Canned pumpkinsmile
[notify]
Turner - Gone Too- Soon

Barked: Sat Apr 9, '11 8:23am PST 
Thanks Bam!! big grin
[notify]

♠- Mickey- ♠

One by one The- squirrels steal- my sanity

Barked: Sat Apr 9, '11 8:26am PST 
Our vet said Canned Pumpkin ( 100% pure pumpkin not pie filling) or plain yogurt.way to go
Turner - Gone Too- Soon

Barked: Sat Apr 9, '11 9:14am PST 
Thanks!! We're gonna stop on the way home after work...
[notify]
Dahlia

Gone, But Not- Forgotten.

Barked: Sat Apr 9, '11 5:24pm PST 
Turner, pumpkin is the lifesaver of dogs! As for the yogurt, get the kind with active cultures. The bacteria in it helps with the bacteria in the dog's stomach and is good for them.
[notify]
Bella and- Daisy CGC

I'm a Meanie

Barked: Sat Apr 9, '11 5:25pm PST 
Yep, pumpkin and floating the kibble in water. Sometimes the extra moisture helps when they can't be quite as active.
[notify]
Nakita Mae- Angel Girl

Live to dock- dive!

Barked: Sat Apr 9, '11 10:21pm PST 
After surgery we will recommend canned pumpkin and canned food. Pre op sedatives, anesthesia and then post op pain meds are a big constipation problem. Pumpkin usually works wonders and on the plus side supplies wonderful vitamins. My kidz get a little pumpkin every day.
Oh, yogurt (plain, whole milk) also helps with how their tummys feel after all the medication, just like us when we are recovering from surgery, yuk!!! I know my tummy feels just plain gross after surgery.
[notify]
Leah, CGC

All the Beauty- with none of the- Brains

Barked: Thu Apr 14, '11 3:25am PST 
Sorry Turner!!! I totally missed you!!

Day late and a dollar short but "CANNED PUMPKIN!!"

The pre-anesthetic injections as well as many of the oral pain medications (especially any opiod or opiod-derivative) given prior to, during and after surgical procedures can cause constipation. Usually the need to continue these medications at least for the short term (5-10 days) outweighs the constipation discomfort HOWEVER in some cases the constipation becomes so bad the medication needs to be decreased in amount or frequency or both OR changed compltely. It is also important to remember that fasting occured prior to surgery then for a short amount of time after surgery as well as depending on area of surgery there could have been some major fluid loss (IE evaporation off open abdominal cavity is a HUGE fluid loss if not controled) during it that was not effectively countered with IV fluid administration during recovery.

I am not sure what he had done or how long he was at vet but this is one of the reasons I like patients to stay overnight following surgery (OBVIOUSLY -but worth mentioning- ONLY IF THERE IS ADEQUATE OVERNIGHT SUPERVISION AND CARE). The additional IV fluids to help maintain proper hydration can be helpful in lessening constipation effects.

And OH - another note because it has been mentioned/brought up by multiple owners at the ER over the last couple weeks - straining does not always mean constipation. A dog who has severe diarrhea to the point where the urge is frequent/large enough to tell them to go before they have made an nice stool looks the same in position and straining as a dog who is constipated. So, owners out there, if you see small drips of stool or small amounts of soft stool coming out it is VERY VERY Unlikely your dog is constipated and MUCH MORE likely they have a severe gastroenteritis that makes them feel like the need to go ASAP!! Turner - this was not at all aimed at you just felt like I needed to mention it!
[notify]
♠- Mickey- ♠

One by one The- squirrels steal- my sanity

Barked: Sat Apr 16, '11 3:20pm PST 
Rest in peace, sweet Turner... I'm so sorry you had to go through the pain you did, but your parents knew when to say "when".

hughughug
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2