GO!

Bringing home a newly spayed girl

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Diesel

Horns beneath- his halo

Barked: Mon Apr 4, '11 4:02pm PST 
I am bringing home my new baby Hailey who will be spayed the previous day and then brought home. Because I'm bringing her home to a house with my dog Diesel, the shelter recommended they should meet on a neutral location before bringing the new baby into the house. I am concerned she will be in so much pain from the spaying that will add to her stress. I just want to take her home and put her in bed. I guess my question is - will she be able to even walk the day after she gets spayed? Diesel is a Lab who was drowsy but fine the next day - I've heard it's much worse with girls. Any suggestions on how I can introduce them w.out it perhaps causing her any pain so soon after her operation? (They met at the shelter and Diesel gave a few sniffs and walked away)
[notify]
Harlow

st. francis of- asses

Barked: Mon Apr 4, '11 4:07pm PST 
all my females were fine the day after their spay. Was able to take them for a short walk. Just don't let the two dogs play roughly together and don't let your female do any jumping. Did the vet send you home with pain meds? You should have those and if you see she is uncomfortable, give her the prescribed dose.
[notify]
Diesel

Horns beneath- his halo

Barked: Mon Apr 4, '11 4:55pm PST 
Thanks! She likes to try to climb up your leg for you to pick her up, and I'm afraid she'll hurt herself. I'm not too worried about them playing just how sick she may be. If she can walk on the leash I think we'll be ok, and you've given me hope that she'll be able to.
[notify]