GO!

How to use diatomaceous earth?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  
Foxy

ultimate lap dog

Barked: Fri Apr 1, '11 5:06pm PST 
I bought diatomaceous earth to use on Foxy's coat and on her food to be taken internally. It's the Thomas D/earth shaker that's food grade and im wondering what's a safe way to use without inhaling and ingesting too much for myself and for her. About how much should i add to her food and how much to pat on her coat? Also how often? She weighs 7lbs. Thanks a lot!
[notify]
Holly - CGC TDI

Squirrel?- Squrirrel!- SQUIRRELLLLL!!!!

Barked: Fri Apr 1, '11 5:23pm PST 
One of my aunt's uses DE. Loves the stuff to death! She only brings out about a cups worth at a time and keeps it in a tupperware container near the dog feeding area.

When she feeds she gives one tablespoon a day to her big
[notify]
Foxy

ultimate lap dog

Barked: Fri Apr 1, '11 6:56pm PST 
your message cutoff omg holly come backk!!!! BOL!
[notify]

Holly - CGC TDI

Squirrel?- Squrirrel!- SQUIRRELLLLL!!!!

Barked: Sun Apr 3, '11 5:09pm PST 
Whoops, sorry about that! Darned Dogster fleas, eating my posts!

So here's what I was going to say, my aunt uses about a tablespoon for her big dogs, who are 40+ lbs. For her little dog, who is about 20 lbs she uses a teaspoon. So maybe, since Foxy is 7lbs, around a half teaspoon a day?

She gives everybody their DE once a day, every day. She's really careful about keeping it in a sealed container, and when she adds to her pup's food she wets it down really well with water, and sometimes mixes it with canned as well.

She absolutely loves the stuff, and swears that it keeps all the parasites away. I hope it works out well for you! I wish my mom would let me use it. I've never rubbed a dog down with it, hopefully someone else will chime in for that.
Good luck!
[notify]
Foxy

ultimate lap dog

Barked: Sun Apr 3, '11 5:25pm PST 
Thank you! Hmm I guess I will just add it to her food whenever I serve it since I free feed her. I rubbed it on her coat yesterday and just held my breathe the whole time. thanks a lot
[notify]
Delta and- Doc

The Spots Are In- The House!

Barked: Sun Apr 3, '11 5:40pm PST 
I add to food with water so it's not powdery. I don't use on coats so I can't tell you how to do that. smile
[notify]
Bam-Bam, CGC

Lil' Rubble

Barked: Sun Apr 3, '11 5:55pm PST 
When you add it to food, you need to make sure you use it for at least 30 days at a time, consistently. If you do not, it can make your dog sick if he/she had internal parasites (which is why I'm assuming your using it on food?).
[notify]
Foxy

ultimate lap dog

Barked: Sun Apr 3, '11 6:12pm PST 
i dont believe she has internal parasites? OMG SHOULD I STOP?
[notify]
Bam-Bam, CGC

Lil' Rubble

Barked: Sun Apr 3, '11 6:44pm PST 
The whole reason to use DE on the food is to control internal parasites. If that is not what you are using it for, why are you using it?
[notify]
Adam

Vaccine free- -Disease free- goes pawinpaw

Barked: Sun Apr 3, '11 8:31pm PST 
I read but I don't know for sure if this is correct but I read DE internally will help with any yeast problems. Works similar to colloidal silver used internally. But I only read that once and never looked into it further. It's also nourishing. I heard stories about DE improving the overall quality of the dogs' health like I hear about probiotics or ACV. To me, I don't think it's needed but you don't have to worry about parasites as much then if you give it regularly.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5