GO!

Comfortis fleat treatment - AWFUL side effects !

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 3 of 10: Viewing entries 21 to 30)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Mon Oct 8, '12 7:45am PST 
I agree with Fritz. Everyone should be aware of the risk v. benefit of any medication that they themselves take or give to their pups. I have had great sucess with Advantix II but do not use it year round if it can be avoided. Having had an Akita mix previously that suffered from a flea allergy so severe that if not treated and prevent from being a target to fleas looked within 2 weeks like she had severe,long standing demodex to the point that 2 vets wanted to euthanize an 8 month old puppy assuming just by appearances that was the case and having her live a comfortable happy life for 10 years after treatment it was well worth it to me knowing that flea allergies age the most common and severe allergies in Akitas. Mika and Kai have done wonderfully well on the Advantage line of products so I see the benefit and don't feel the need to change,that does not mean that it will be the answer for every dog,since just as every person is different,every dog is different.
[notify]

Barked: Tue Nov 13, '12 11:26am PST 
After reading some horrible reviews about Comfortis, I was concerned about using it. My vet was very positive about it, as were the vet techs I spoke with. They are pretty honest about their experiences with other pets at their hospital. We had found some abandoned kittens and they brought fleas into our home so our cat and dog got them. I wasn't using Frontline on my cat since she was an indoor cat and that was a mistake. After vacuuming a lot, using sprays on the rugs, and flea combing the pets daily, we had made a good dent, but they still had fleas. We finally decided to try Comfortis and I have to say both pets had no problems with the medication. Fleas were literally falling off the cat. I don't know if we'll be using the medication monthly, but I think it's a medication like all others: some will be fine with it, others will have side effects to varying degrees. Someone made the comment that any drug that kills things can't be safe. Well, we take antibiotics now and again and those kill bacteria. Every drug, both for humans and animals, is prescribed only when it is believed the benefit outweighs the risk. I'm sorry some people have had bad experiences, but I do think they are in the minority or vets would not be recommending this product. Having had seven dogs over four decades, I can say I just do what I can to keep them safe and try to make informed decisions on their care.
[notify]
Tiara

Barked: Tue Nov 13, '12 2:56pm PST 
I am sorry you had do many problems. Thank you for posting
[notify]

Barked: Sun Dec 9, '12 9:46am PST 
Listen folks...have you ever read the possible side effects of human medications? Yet, we still take them. I think you need to consider the same for animals. If your dog had a bad reaction to Comfortis the don't give it to them again. That doesn't mean that ALL dogs are going to have a reaction. Some people die from a reaction to penicillin, but it saves another persons life. Any time you give any medication to any living creature you have to monitor for adverse effects. That doesn't mean it is an evil or bad medication. Thanks for listening! smile (I give it to all three of my dogs and they have no problem at all with it)

Edited by author Sun Dec 9, '12 9:47am PST

[notify]

Barked: Wed Dec 19, '12 12:29am PST 
Oh my gosh, I just took my little dog to the vet today she had a couple of things wrong with her one being a flea allergy. My vet gave me Comfortis and I wanted to look up the reviews for it, after seeing some scary stories I was worried but my dog responded well to it, I gave her a full meal and then gave it to her in a little piece of chicken and how fast the fleas got off of her is amazing. I am so pleased. I guess dogs are very similar to humans and every dog can respond differently. I'm sorry about your pup I hope she is okay smile
[notify]
Pookie

plush destroyer

Barked: Thu Dec 20, '12 7:06pm PST 
Comfortis is the only thing that worked for my dog. No side effects.
[notify]

Barked: Fri Dec 21, '12 4:19am PST 
I have 5 healthy dogs - they were all sick and very lethargic after having Comfortis. They all carry on scratching and I don't know how long before I can use something else. I will never use Comfortis again. It didn't kill the fleas but made the dogs very poorly.
[notify]
Fritz

Fritz, cats are- fun when they- run

Barked: Mon Dec 24, '12 6:21am PST 
I have 6 healthy dogs, they used Comfortis yesterday. None of them had any side effects and the fleas are dying.

Luckily none of them has a flea allergy, if they did I would expect it to take a few days to clear up. Guest, Comfortis works, did you give the correct dose with food? Are you sure they ate it and kept it down for an hour? Are you sure the itching is caused by fleas? If they have flea a allergy it may take a few days for the itching to stop.
[notify]

Barked: Wed Jan 2, '13 6:29am PST 
Comfortis...we have six dogs and one cat. I tried everything from natural remedies, vaccuming daily, sprays, frontline, etc. I didn't want to use comfortis b/c of the expense and side effects listed on some of the reviews but finally gave in. Our cat stays indoors but was obviously miserable b/c of the fleas. After comfortis, she has come out of hiding and it is obvious she is feeling much better. Hopefully we can continue to use it without side effects because it has been the only thing that has worked.
[notify]
Rupert

I'm cute I don't- need a motto

Barked: Thu Jan 3, '13 10:08am PST 
Just wanted to put in my 2 cents worth.
We have 10 dogs and in 13 years have never, to our knowledge, had fleas. In Nov. I noticed one of my babies just biting his legs and haunches up. (Also I should add that we have 3 dogs, including the one I am talking about, on Benedryl for allergies). Our regular vet said to switch him to Zyrtec so we did and his condition got worse frown
On 12/31 I took him to the NC State Vet School (we are extremely fortunate to live close to this facility one of the best vet schools in the states and although you see a 4 year vet student the doctor you see has been in their speciality there for several years) and they did a very through exam.
They told me they had found a flea on him!
I was mortified and embarassed! Then it dawned on me where there was one there were more and what about the other 9 dogs??!!
So in the end we gave all 10 dogs Comfortis. Our smallest girl felt badly the next day and every one was sedate the next day. The next day we did have one that threw up and had diarrea.
Also the vet was adamant that we not only give Comfortis but also do a dose of Advantix on each dog.
While I thought this was overkill I did some research and saw that it was ok to do both. We have a regular housekeeper and she was shocked that we could have fleas and she has never seen them!
But everything is being washed,vacuumed, and sprayed with a spray from the vet and we are hiring 4 people to help us with this massive project.
Comfortis worked for us (except the one dog) and the baby I had to take to the dermatologist at the vet school was fine the very next day!

Just like with all meds for our pets or people....not everything works for everybody...
[notify]
  (Page 3 of 10: Viewing entries 21 to 30)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10