GO!

Comfortis fleat treatment - AWFUL side effects !

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 2 of 11: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  
Honey

Honey,

Barked: Mon Feb 13, '12 7:41am PST 
I had used Frontline/Frontline pus for years and it stopped working on my girls. I tried Advantage, seame thing. Within 10 days to 2 weeks, they had fleas again.

After losing my one golden retriever, Hunter, to ProHeart6, I am very, very, very reluctant to use new stuff, but I wa also worried about applying tht flea stuff twice a month. So i tried Comfortis and it wrked perfectly.

When my KayCee died in May 2008, I had 2 tablets left. Well, in this almost 4 years, I have only used them plus 4 more on Honey. If I see ONE flea, I give her a tablet, so that shows we just don't have fleas. And tht amazes me as we have 2 dogs on one side whose owner swears mothballs keep fleas away (tho her dogshave flea all the time), on the other side of us there are 4 chihuahuas, behind us the lady has up to a dozen dogs at a time as she fosters and has 3 of her own, and we live in a small town, lots of trees squirrels, possums, etc.
I had read that having dogs on top dogfood helps prevent fleas, but never believed it could. I am honestly begining to wonder now as Honey has been on Taste of the Wild for 4 years (KayCee had been on it about 3 months before cancer claimed her) and we so rarely see fleas.

But I will add this---dogs can have a reaction after the first injetion, pill, bag or food, etc, or afhve no problme for a long time and suddenly hve a reaction. My KayCee had no problme with puppy shots or first set of annuals, but almost lost her to the 2ed set at 2 1/2. I never fully trust any drug.
[notify]
Cottonball

Don't hate me- because I'm- beautiful...

Barked: Fri Jun 1, '12 7:31pm PST 
My smallest one is laying on the couch and refuses to drink or eat since taking it. The other three are fine so I'm hoping she just has a weaker stomach than the rest. It's worrying me though, she's the only one that's never been sick. I had to try something since fleas are horrible this year, like I've never seen them, and my babies were miserable. I'm so worried.
[notify]
Maggie,- Tika, &- Porter

Aussie-tastic- Trio

Barked: Fri Jun 1, '12 7:41pm PST 
It's a pesticide - it kills things...anything that kills something is not good for the body.

I will admit that I will use Comfortis over the topicals. The topicals put poison on the dog that then can get all over their bed and the house (and me who has severe skin issues with it). I hate the fact that I have yet to find something that remedies fleas on my dog without poison. Two of my dogs have severe flea allergy and I hate having to resort to pills if we get an infestation, but I cannot use topicals for my own safety.

I have never had any of the side effects reported with any of the dogs. One of the fosters threw up after a dose, but she managed to keep it down the second time without issue (she also changed food that same meal). I would call the vet if there were any concerns with side effects (which is why I never give something without plenty of time during business hours to fix something).

Edited by author Tue Aug 27, '13 11:45am PST

[notify]

Dingo

Leader of the- Dog Gestapo

Barked: Sat Jun 2, '12 7:47pm PST 
I don't use any flea-killer at all, after we had multiple bad reactions to a wide range of products. The cats also groom Dingo, so we have to take that into consideration. Instead I salt my carpets and flea comb each dog and cat to keep the population down. I've found that keeping a regular schedule keeps us flea-free. We've only had a few flea-explosions and diatomaceous earth has always helped with that. We got a huge jug of it for $10.
[notify]
Foxie

Small in size,- but big of heart

Barked: Sun Jun 3, '12 10:37am PST 
The vet I work for has stopped carrying comfortis and doesn't recommend it. Program is the safest flea med, as it has no effect on mammals. All mine are on it.
[notify]
Maggie,- Tika, &- Porter

Aussie-tastic- Trio

Barked: Sun Jun 3, '12 11:52am PST 
I want to try Program, but my vet can't get it due to the Novartis hold on production frown I had only found out about it a few months ago...so hopefully I can get it when it starts back up.
[notify]
Calamity- Jane

Barked: Sun Jun 3, '12 11:52am PST 
Every dog is different. For the past year, Jane was on Trifexis, which has spinosad (the active ingredient in Comfortis). We had absolutely no problems, and it worked very well for us. Every medication is going to have it's issues with certain dogs, and that goes for organic and natural treatments as well.
[notify]
Bella

Barked: Mon Jun 4, '12 5:55pm PST 
The sad thing is...just because your dog doesn't show any notable side effects to the chemicals in these products...doesn't mean it's not going to have any long term problems. Cancer, shortened life span, neurological disorders and many more.
Seriously, research the side effects of ALL tick/flea treatments...scary stuff, for sure.
I'll NEVER use any of them.
[notify]
Blanka

Barked: Sun Oct 7, '12 8:18pm PST 
Hi everyone, just came across this site and subject and am wondering if anyone can offer a solution to keeping fleas at bay as well as comfortis does, after reading the adverse reactions some of you have experienced, I'm a little worried about continued use of it on our 2 dogs, Frontline may as well be water for all the effectiveness it has on our 2 that's why I switched to comfortis, our cav eats the tablet with no problems, our husky mustn't like the taste and so I crush it and mix it with a raw egg and he eats/drinks it and so far we've had no visible reactions at all (been using it for 6 months now) but I'd be devastated if they eventually built up an adverse side effect
[notify]
Fritz

Fritz, cats are- fun when they- run

Barked: Mon Oct 8, '12 3:47am PST 
No, the sad truth is that you have to weigh taking Comfortus against the discomfort and danger of having fleas.

Other topicals can cause allergic reactions too and , in my opinion, are far more toxic than Comfortus and a number of "natural" products.

Fleas can cause discomfort and disease. If Comfortus worked well for you, I would keep using it.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 11: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11