GO!

Broken nose...

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

♠- Mickey- ♠

One by one The- squirrels steal- my sanity

Barked: Tue Mar 22, '11 11:10am PST 
As anyone else ever had one?

I was super excited the other day. Mom was getting ready to go, and asked Jenny and I if we wanted to "go for a ride in the car"? Those are magical words, you know.

I was standing close to the wall, at a corner and turned soooo quickly and WHACK! Smacked my little snout on the corner so hard I yelped! Mommy didn't make a big deal of it and laughed it off, thinking I was being a bit of a baby. She loaded us up and off we went. I was fine, until 2 days later when my snout was very swollen on the left side and my eye was watering.

We weren't sure if I might have broken a tooth, had an abscessed tooth, a spider bite, or worse. But we were snowed in up in the mountains for Mom & Dad's anniversary, and couldn't get home. Mom did check my nose by gently petting the fur, which I was fine with, until she put a little pressure on it, then I yelped.
Yesterday, we finally got dug out (thanks to Mr. Jim for his tractor) and they took me to Dr. Klingborg.

He thought I possibly had an abscess or broken tooth at first, but when he looked at the gums, they were fine, and putting pressure on the tooth caused no reaction, but putting pressure on my nose did!eek

He said my eye was watering from the swelling blocking the tear duct so the tears had to go somewhere.cry

Now I'm on Meloxicam for a few days to see how I do. If it doesn't go away, then we are gonna have xrays.

Has anyone else broken their nose from happiness??shrug
Scooter,- PAWS

Power of the Paw- for those who- need it

Barked: Tue Mar 22, '11 12:09pm PST 
Awwwwww Mick....no...it's never happened with one of us. I just feel really bad for you. I know our noses are sensitive. I hope you feel better buddy....hughughughughug
[notify]
♠- Mickey- ♠

Barked: Tue Mar 22, '11 3:02pm PST 
Thanks, Scooter!

It sure isn't bothering my appetite! big grin But I won't chew on that side of my mouth, for now.

Nakita Mae- Angel Girl

Live to dock- dive!

Barked: Tue Mar 22, '11 10:45pm PST 
Any xrays of the teeth done? Sometimes you cannot see a tooth problem until you take dental xrays. Sorry your puppy is hurting. Poor him. Are the meds working for pain? I hope he feels better soon.blue dog
[notify]
Abner

Basset Hound- with a Flatty- suit on

Barked: Wed Mar 23, '11 1:59am PST 
Oh gosh. That is an unusual injury! Best of luck with the healing process!

Not the same, but our lab, Puki, broke his tail because he wagged it too hard into something. That was the dog I learned to walk on. big grin Silly pups.
[notify]
♠- Mickey- ♠

Barked: Thu Mar 24, '11 10:29am PST 
We got NSAIDs (meticam) for the swelling and pain, and guess what? The swelling is almost gone and I'm chewing on that side again! Of course, I still don't want Jenny to bump my snout, but I'm doing so much better!dancing

No xrays were done yet. Dr. Klingborg wanted to try the nsaids first for a few days, then xray. I'm very VERY skittish, and they would have to sedate me to xray me, so better to do the least traumatizing thing first and see how it went. Seems like he made the right choice!way to go