GO!

how do I properly dilute tea tree oil to sooth itchy skin?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Dantes

I have my own- reasons.

Barked: Sat Mar 19, '11 6:17pm PST 
how do I properly dilute tea tree oil to sooth itchy skin?
[notify]
Adam

Vaccine free- -Disease free- goes pawinpaw

Barked: Sat Mar 19, '11 6:32pm PST 
I don't personally trust tea tree oil for pet use. If you could use neem oil or lavender those are safer choices. Lavender doesn't need to be diluted on the skin but if it's the first time used should be just in case there's a reaction.

To dilute any essential oil (important to note, eo's won't dissolve in water they will in vegetable oils, vodka, grain alcohol or vegetable glycerin) You can use one cup for every 5 drops. It depends how severe the problem calls for more or less diluted.

Tea tree oil I'd dilute even more..I can't safely recommend it...but you can try looking up Kristen Leigh Bell she is an expert for eo's and pets.
[notify]
Dantes

I have my own- reasons.

Barked: Sat Mar 19, '11 7:25pm PST 
I heard of putting lavender oil in its concentrated form to the back of the neck for flea repelling qualities.. Have you heard of this ?
and also I know that estheticians add tea tree oil into all of the liquids they use including the little cups you put your hand into to let them soak. I know it's for its anti fungal properties, but wouldn't that mean that it does mix?
[notify]

Allee Oop!!!

I love my Mommy

Barked: Sat Mar 19, '11 7:41pm PST 
I know this doesn't answer your question but when Allee was going through all her allergic reactions we bathed her in Earthbath tea tree oil and aloe, and it seemed to help some!
[notify]
Abner

Basset Hound- with a Flatty- suit on

Barked: Sat Mar 19, '11 11:38pm PST 
Not really helpful, but Abner has a hot spot foam from Vet's Best that has tea tree, and it's worked better on Abner than most of the other things I've used. So there are products that you can buy with it already all mixed, if you felt so inclined.
[notify]
Adam

Vaccine free- -Disease free- goes pawinpaw

Barked: Sun Mar 20, '11 8:59am PST 
I heard of putting lavender oil in its concentrated form to the back of the neck for flea repelling qualities.. Have you heard of this ?

Yep! I heard lavender is best for fleas but it repells ticks and other insects too. Some ppl will soak bandanas in it then put on the dog. I put the eo's on my dogs back, legs, chest, neck and behind the ears because of ticks being bad. You might not need to do that much.

and also I know that estheticians add tea tree oil into all of the liquids they use including the little cups you put your hand into to let them soak. I know it's for its anti fungal properties, but wouldn't that mean that it does mix?

It will mix but see if you took a bowl of water and put some tea tree in then stir, if you then left it still for a short time you'd see oil collect at the surface of the bowl. That's the tea tree (or any eo) that didn't really dissolve. I use just water sometimes. Probably best results if dissolved tho.

eta, Geranium is really good anti-fungal too but it also is one of the eo's to use more caution with. I think it's better than tea tree tho.

Edited by author Sun Mar 20, '11 9:01am PST

[notify]
Toby

Barked: Sun Mar 20, '11 7:26pm PST 
just a heads up...Toby was actually allergic to tea tree oil. Be very careful with it. Good to keep in the cabinet for yourself (it's worked on minor burns/blemishes for me) but I won't use it on my dog (even diluted). test a very small area first.
[notify]
Sarah,- CW-SR,- CW-G1, CGC

Million Dollar- Mutt

Barked: Sun Mar 20, '11 7:32pm PST 
Tea Tree oil is NOT safe if you have cats. I bought a tea tree oil spray for the stray I picked up because tea tree oil has antibacterial, antiviral, and antifungal properties when sprayed on the skin. I used it on the stray while she was living out in my living room, but now that she's in the house I'm going to give it away. I know the spray is really diluted, but I just don't feel safe using it around the cats.
[notify]