GO!

Erection Issue...

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 2 of 4: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  4  
Tika

Little Fox

Barked: Fri Mar 18, '11 5:24pm PST 
Yoshi, when a dog is neutered they remove the testicles, not the penis. :/

Someone once brought their dog to board at the kennel where I work and told us her dog's penis sometimes got stuck outside the sheath, and that if it happened we had to massage it back in manually. o_O Thankfully it never happened...
[notify]
Tanuk CGC

Sherpa Tanuk of- Everest

Barked: Fri Mar 18, '11 5:30pm PST 
It's totally normal. Tanuk is the king of erections (eww). And just think, you said he'd just woken up, right? Well, it's not too unusual for that to happen after a male wakes up, or is sleepy. Tanuk seriously has the nastiest "equipment" you could imagine, never saw anything like that before him. laugh out loud

His tend to occur when he's aroused quite a bit, especially when his favorite people come over to visit.
[notify]
Mikey

You know you- want to pet me

Barked: Fri Mar 18, '11 9:49pm PST 
This has happened to Mikey a few times, minus the look of pain.
And it always seemed to happen when he was excited when I got home.

Have to be honest and say I've had males dogs before and my last dog wasn't neutered, but I'd never seen it in all it's glory before. Kind of.... well, it's just something I would not like to see again.
[notify]

Leah, CGC

All the Beauty- with none of the- Brains

Barked: Sat Mar 19, '11 12:06am PST 
It happens....not a lot but enough that I have seen more than one and less than 50 - to both neutered and unneutered males - and it is called paraphimosis - BTW it can happen in any male whose penis becomes to engorged to "fit" back into the sheath - there are several different things that could be preventing it from returning to normal including small preputial orifice, ineffective preputial muscles, preputial hypoplasia, trauma, infection, neoplasia, persistent erection, sexual excitement and coitus.

Often in most young male dogs (XL breed under like 3yrs, L-M breeds under 6-7 and small-toy breeds like 8-10) it happens frequently after successful copulation with female because the penis becomes so swollen and engorged it can't fit back in. The other #1 most frequent cause in young dogs is HUMPING---this includes living and non-living items. Many times these dogs present with owners who have inadvertently encouraged their male dogs excessive humping of pillows, couches, people WHATEVER by laughing and carrying on. The reaction of the people increases the intensity and excitement and .... over-enthusiastic swelling occurs!

It is intensely painful and difficult for the patient to understand. This means they may self traumatize, worsening the condition or attack/bite owner so be careful when approaching or assisting in its attempt to normalize.

During paraphimosis blood supply and nerve supply is severely inhibited to the penis so if the dog is unable to successful relax or reduce the inflammation they can cause the penis tissue to die which leads to it becoming necrotic. This is BEYOND painful and has been seen a lot in the shelter world (especially when the "fighting" circles are busted).

This is a MEDICAL EMERGENCY and should result in a vet visit ASAP or risk losing your pets penis or worse allowing secondary infection to run up urethra from nectrotic penial tissue resulting in massive infection then death

HOWEVER --> It is much less of an emergency at 1 minutes out than at 10 minutes out. If your dog is dealing with it on its own be careful (as pointed out earlier) about approaching or touching area but also monitor the type and intensity of attention being given. I have seen more than one dog remove the painful "item" by gnawing it off while owners were out to dinner (they left dog knowing it was stuck but assuming it would be fine as usual). If the dog begins to show severe panic signs, self-mutilation, stress, severe pain/discomfort or it has been outside the sheath for longer than 2-5 minutes without being kept moist.

Your case sounds like a situation that may have been stuck out for longer than you know. Signs of severe distress and inability for blood flow were both seen. I would seek medical attention for this soon due to the risk that in that amount of time blood vessels could have been damaged beyond repair leading to death of that tissue. If his penis tissues starts to die it can become infected and you may not be aware if you are not checking under his prepuce frequently.

Think about getting a rubber band stuck around your finger as tight as possible (or your own penis if you do so have one). This condition can be aggravated in some long haired (or longer haired) breeds because the hair gets stuck around the tip of prepuce causing the "rubber band" effect.

If the penis remains out to no avail after like 2-3 minutes, you can begin applying first aid but you should always end up at a vet to have the penis examined for potential tissue loss. First aid is this situation includes keeping penis moist with KY jelly (NO TINGLING - SENSATIONS - WARMING - PLEASE) or even Vaseline. Application of a sugar/water paste to the penis also helps to reduce inflammation, allowing penis to more easily slide back inside (If any one remembers - I think there was a early 90's REAL WORLD episode where they had to call a vet and do this on camera). But honestly these are things to be done so you can get to the nearest vet NOT things to try for a couple hours. If you wait that long, I can be pretty sure you will damage this organ.

If you saw purple - I would seek medical attention to make sure there isn't anything long lasting and discuss if there is a reason why he is doing it now (this may not be an answerable question at this time but worth delving into with your vet)
[notify]
Tyson Savage- CGC

Let's do big dog- stuff!

Barked: Sat Mar 19, '11 1:59pm PST 
Whoo Leah thank you for all the information! And thank you everyone else for the traumatizing images. I've had horses for years and part of owning them includes cleaning their manlihood from time to time, so I have had to handle a surplus amount of penises and am not alien to them. However, after no longer having horses, I have to say I was quite done with them and my lifestyle is fairly free of them anyway. So this sudden, startling intrusion kinda freaked me out a bit!

But everything is back to normal. No other issues since and all is well.
[notify]
Eponine

Love- unconditionally.

Barked: Sat Mar 19, '11 2:37pm PST 
Someone once brought their dog to board at the kennel where I work and told us her dog's penis sometimes got stuck outside the sheath, and that if it happened we had to massage it back in manually. o_O Thankfully it never happened...

AW GEEZ NOW THERE'S A CLEVER PLAN EH? Let's take a dog who is in pain in a REALLY nerve-intensive, sensitive area, put them on their back so they feel vulnerable, and then massage the super-sensitive spot that is in pain and swollen. THAT won't get your face bitten off, or anything... Wow I sure hope whoever suggested that never actually has to do it, or else that their dog is a saint.
Leah, CGC

All the Beauty- with none of the- Brains

Barked: Sat Mar 19, '11 6:45pm PST 
No problem - if he allows you to extrude the penis on your own you may want to check for signs of darkened skin or raw skin.

PS - SO SO SO sorry for all the bold - thats what I get for posting so late AND not checking it
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Sun Mar 20, '11 5:12am PST 
I have also seen a serious case of frostbite on a male who was put outside to "cool off". He lost most of the tissue off the end of his penis. His owners did encourage his humping of his stuffed bear, and when they were tired of it, they put him outdoors. Smart owners.shrug
[notify]
Yoshi

XD

Barked: Mon Mar 21, '11 8:17pm PST 
Uh Tika I know what nutering is. I am not stupid. Jesus. laugh out loud And Sampson my suggestion to nuter is not innapropriate IMHO.

But Oh dear, I guess I know what I'm getting myself into when I have male dogs in the future. laugh out loud
[notify]
Samson

Work? What's- that?

Barked: Mon Mar 21, '11 9:51pm PST 
And Sampson my suggestion to nuter is not innapropriate IMHO.

"S-a-m-s-o-n" it's right by the picture.

And would you like it if every time you posted a health-related topic on your dog someone harped on you for choosing to neuter whether it was related to the problem at hand or would even solve anything or not? If they told you "Why didn't you just leave him/her intact?"

It's an unsolicited and rude remark. If the OP wanted advice about altering or not he would have asked for it. But he did not.

Edited by author Mon Mar 21, '11 9:53pm PST

[notify]
  (Page 2 of 4: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  4